Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Business & FinanceCredit · 8 years ago

Dispute Debt with Credit Reporting Agency, debt came back verified... debt is not mines... PLEASE HELP!!!?

I disputed a medical debt with the CRA (Credit Reporting Agency) and they verified that the debt was mine. I then sent the Medical Collection Agencies a letter asking them to validate the debt, however they never sent me anything back. My question to the CRA is how did you validate this debt when I can't even get the Medical CA to respond to my request. I want to send the Credit Reporting Agencies a Method of Verification letter (DOES ANYONE HAVE A SAMPLE MOV LETTER???) with the certified mail receipt or something asking them to remove this negative Trade line from my CR. I don't know the next step, please help.

*Note... I've already sent the CRA a dispute letter.

*PLEASE DON'T TELL ME TO CALL ANYONE BECAUSE, IT'S BEST TO HAVE WRITTEN PROOF.

*Any sample letters will help!!!

Favorite Answer

See the Fair Debt Collection Practices Act

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fair_Debt_Collection_...

and the Fair Credit Reporting Act

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FCRA

Are you claiming to have never visited that hospital facility or are you just trying to get rid of the debt because they don't give an answer you like?

Did you send the collection agency a certified, return receipt letter request validation to include proof that the debt belongs to you? Do not use form letters for this. The form letters you find on most "credit expert" sites are chock full of bad info and tend to be ignored. Just use your own words. Give them 30 days to respond.

If they fail to respond after 30 days, then send the credit bureaus another dispute with a copy of your validation request letter, indicting that the creditor failed to respond. That should get the item removed. However, don't be surprised if it shows up again when the debt is sold to another collection agency.

Source(s): BD

It seems like the CRA did what it was supposed to - it contacted the original creditor to verify the debt. But the original creditor lied by telling the CRA the debt was yours. In that case, you can sue the original creditor pursuant to the federal Fair Debt Collection Practices Act for making a false statement while attempting to collect a consumer debt.

You can also write more letters and call the BBB, AG and FTC but in my experience, nothing gets these kinds of things resolved faster than a federal lawsuit.

To find a lawyer near you who handles FDCPA check www.naca.net

• CatDad

If the credit bureaus come back and validate this debt and you are sure that it's not yours, and the collection agency refuses to remove it, send the collection agency a letter via certified mail stating:

Be advised that you are in violation of the Fair Credit Reporting Act for reporting inaccurate info. This is not my debt. If you do not remove this notation from my credit files within 30 days, I will file formal complaints with your state's Attorney General and the FTC.

- If this fails too, your only recourse is to sue them for Fair Credit Reporting Act violations.

---------

Your Congressman, Senator or other elected representatives will not get involved in this issue.

• Ed Fox

Are you saying you have never had medical treatment for which you have not paid in full?

You need to be sure as many dishonest people falsely challenge their own valid debts ( to buy time or hopefully evade payment) and this is why investigations take some time. People who are found to be legitimately responsible for a debt they have claimed is not theirs cannot then expect any breaks from the collection agencies in terms of a reduced settlement figure

The person claiming you owe must within 5 days of receiving your letter send you written proof of claim. Right to them and demand it, they will likely fail so you will need to get you state department of consumer credit protection involved. This is very common

Call the Federal Trade Commission @ 1-877-382-4357. All business's have to answer to them.

Source(s): Retired bill collector 35 years

Write your Congressman, your two senators and your representative. Also write to state senators and delegates. When they get an inquiry from a member of Congress, that will get their butts in gear. And when you write, be sure to include documented proof such as letters you have sent, dates called and who you spoke to.