What's a good book to read?

I'm looking for a book to read for my book club project. Suspense/horror/gothic/teenage/love genres only please. The book has to be fiction, written by an American Author, and cannot be made into a movie! Thankyou!! x

P.S. Stories about traveling -- mind traveling, dreaming/trances, along those lines would be great too!

7 Answers

Relevance
  • 8 years ago
    Favorite Answer

1. The secrets of the immortal Nicholas Flamel by Michael Scott

2. Pendragon series by D.J. MacHale:

3. 13 reasons why by Jay De Asher:

A girl suicides and sends 13 cassettes with the 13 reasons (people and what they did) that caused her to make her decision.

4. The house of night series by P.C. Cast

5. The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins:

24 teenagers fight to the death and only one survives...

6. Nightworld by L.J. Smith

7. The Forbidden Game by L.J. Smith:

He's playing with her heart... and her life...

8. Dark Visions by L.J. Smith:

Not all vampires are out for blood! (not like TWILIGHT!!!)

9. Emily the Strange: Stranger and Stranger by Rob Reger

10. Once Dead, Twice Shy: A Novel (book 1 of a trilogy) by Kim Harrison:

My name is Madison Avery, and I'm here to tell you that there's more out there than you can see, hear, or touch. Because I'm there. Seeing it. Touching it. Living it.

Madison's prom was killer literally. Now, thanks to a mysterious amulet, she's stuck on Earth: dead but not gone.

11. Anna and the French Kiss by Stephanie Perkins:

Anna can't wait for her senior year in Atlanta, where she has a good job, a loyal best friend, and a crush on the verge of becoming more. So she's not too thrilled when her father unexpectedly ships her off to boarding school in Paris - until she meets Etienne St.Clair, the perfect boy. The only problem? He's taken, and Anna might be, too, if anything comes of her crush back home. Will a year of romantic near-misses end in the French kiss Anna awaits?

12. The Poison Diaries (trilogy) by Maryrose Wood:

In the right dose, everything is a poison. Even love . . .

Jessamine Luxton has lived all her sixteen years in an isolated cottage near Alnwick Castle, with little company apart from the plants in her garden. Her father, Thomas, a feared apothecary, has taught her much plants: that even the most innocent-looking weed can cure -- or kill.

When Jessamine begins to fall in love with a mysterious boy whoclaims to communicate with plants, she is drawn into the dangerous world of the poison garden in a way she never could have imagined .. .

13. Perfect Chemistry by Simone Elkeles:

When Brittany Ellis walks into chemistry class on the first dayof senior year, she has no clue that her carefully created "perfect" life is about to unravel before her eyes. She's forced tobe lab partners with Alex Fuentes, a gang member from the otherside of town, and he is about to threaten everything she's workedso hard for her flawless reputation, her relationship with herboyfriend, and the secret that her home life is anything but perfect.

15. The Outsiders by S.E. Hinton:

Three brothers struggle to stay together after their parents'' death, as they search for an identity among the conflicting values of their adolescent society in which they find themselves "outsiders."

16. To Kill a Mockingbird by Harper Lee (this book really brings you to the South of the U.S. in the late 1800-1950).

18. And then there were none by Agatha Christie (one of her best books!!!):

The World's Bestselling Mystery

19. Murder on the Orient Express by Agatha Christie:

While traveling to Paris, a wealthy American is stabbed to death in his cabin on the Orient Express. With the train stuck in a snowdrift, there is no easy escape for the killer. Fortunately, detective Hercule Poirot is aboard and launches a clever investigation into the curious assortment of passengers, of whom each seems to have a motive.

20. Prophecy of the sisters (trilogy) by Michelle Zink (I read this book in french, it got me hooked from the beginning!!):

An ancient prophecy divides two sisters--one good,one evil.

Who will prevail?

21. Beautiful creatures by Kami Garcia and Margaret Stohl (also read this one in french... it was AWESOME!!!):

There were no surprises in Gatlin County. At least, that''s what I thought. Turns out, I couldn''t have been more wrong. There was a curse. There was a girl. And in the end, there was a grave. Lena Duchannes is unlike anyone the small Southern town of Gatlin has ever seen, and she's struggling to conceal her power and a curse that has haunted her family for generations.

22. Incarceron by Catherine Fisher:

Incarceron is a prison so vast that it contains not only cells, but also metal forests, dilapidated cities, and vast wilderness. Finn, a 17-year-old prisoner, has no memory of his childhood and is sure that he came from Outside Incarceron. And then Finn finds a crystal key that allows him to communicate with a girl who claims to live on the Outside.

Source(s): All of the above were wonderful books.
    • Login to reply the answers
  • 3 years ago

a number of those are from lady perspectives, some could be slightly "girly woman" on your liking yet others must be ok. i've got left the two form on and you are able to come to a variety. Meryll of the Stone (Brian Caswell) Picnic at putting Rock (Joan Lindsay) Stranger with my face (Lois Duncan) enjoying Beattie Bow (Ruth Parks) My Sister Sif (Ruth Parks) Hitch hikers handbook to the Galaxy (Douglas Adams) Holes (Louis Sachar) Lord of the jewellery / The Hobbit Eragorn trilogy Narnia The Golden Compass Interview with a Vampire (Anne Rice) Requiem for a Princess (Ruth M Arthur) searching for Alibrandi (Melina Marchetta) Angels Gate (Gary group) Sisterhood of the traveling Pants Pelican's Creek (Maureen Pople) The Diary of Anne Frank To Kill a Mockingbird (Harper Lee) The Shiralee (Dárcy Niland) Into the Wild (John Krakauer) Chocolat (Joanne Harris) Harp in the South; undesirable guy's Orange; Missus (Trilogy by skill of Ruth Parks) the place the heart is (Billie Letts) My place (Sally Morgan) Little women (Louisa would Alcott) Rebecca (Daphne De Maurier) the three Muskateers (Alexandre Dumas) something by skill of the Bronte sisters or Jane Austen however you do don’t run The December Boys (Robert Noonan)

• God
    Lv 6
    8 years ago

I'll tell you what the series is and then put the books in order. =)

The immortal series by Alyson Noel:

Evermore

Blue Moon

Shadowland

Dark Flame

Night Star

Everlasting

The touch series by Laurie Faria Stolarz:

Deadly Little Secret

Deadly Little Lies

Deadly Little Games

Deadly Little Voices (it comes out this november!)

Percy Jackson & the olympian series by Rick Riodan:

The Lightning Thief

The Sea of Monsters

The Titan's Curse

The Battle of the Labyrinth

The Last Olympian

The Heroes of Olympus Series by Rick Riordan (same characters from the Percy Jackson series but you have to read the percy jackson series first to understand the heroes of olympus series)

The Lost Hero

The Son of Neptune (comes out this fall)

The Riley Bloom Series by Alyson Noel

Radiance

Shimmer

Dreamland (comes out this fall)

Whisper (comes out spring 2012)

The Wolves of Mercy Falls series by Maggie Stiefvader:

Shiver

Linger

Forever (comes out this july!)

The Kane Chronicals series by Rick Riordan:

The Red Pyramid

The Throne of Fire

these books are AMAZING!

The Lightning Thief was made into a movie, but it was *nothing* like the book. The characters were way older, and the scenes were different. I think you might like the Touch series the best!

• Leann
    Lv 4
    8 years ago

The Fallen Series by Lauren Kate is pretty good. There is no movie. But, The Hunger Games is a movie now! I saw the trailer.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 8 years ago

I'll name the series then list the books in order

Fallen series by Lauren Kate

1. Fallen

2. Torment

3. Passion

4.Rapture (Coming in spring 2012)

The Hunger games by suzanne Collins is probably my fave.loved it but its becoming a movie in march so idk if you'd want to use it or not

1.The hunger games

2.Catching Fire

3.Mockingjay

The house of night series by P.C Cast+ Kristen Cast

1.Marked

2.Betrayed

3.Chosen

4.Untamed

5. Hunted

6.Tempted

7.Burned

8.Awakened

9.Destined (on sale october 25,2011)

Thirteen Reasons why by Jay De Asher (not series)

Source(s): I liked the Hunger Games the best
  • 8 years ago

Dean Koontz - The Vision.

• 8 years ago

Hunger Games series

amazing books.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.