A good book for my sister?

I was looking to get her 2, maybe 3 books for her birthday. She's turning nine, but she's at a 6th grade reading level. Problem is, the books at her reading level aren't in hr interests very much, and she gets bored with the ones in her interests because they aren't challenging enough. (She finished three Judy Moody Books in one day.) So, I want some books challengin enough for a very intelligent 9 year old but on a topic she'll be interested in. The only online store I'll order from is amazon. I can also buy it at barnes and noble(only bookstore within an hour from me).

She also found the childrens Marley (not Bad Dog Marley, the shaved version of Marley and Me) a good book, and devoured all 5 Diary of a wimpy kid books.

• Nova
    Favorite Answer

I think some recommendations (but not all, especially not the Percy Jackson and Dork Diaries recommendations) from the first answer are too mature for her (not to mention inappropriate - I would only recommend them to high school or middle school students due to content), despite the fact that she can read at a 6th grade level.

She may like:

* Holes by Louis Sachar (the Wayside School series is also one that kids her age tend to enjoy; a note about Holes: it might be more suitable for the 11-13 age; the Wayside series is aimed at a younger group)

* Skinnybones by Barbara Park

* Ralph S. Mouse books by Beverly Cleary (The Mouse and the Motorcycle, etc.)

* The Secret Garden by Frances Hodgson Burnett (Note: while this one is aimed specifically at kids, I've found that those older tend to appreciate and enjoy it more, but I'm only recommending it because I think it's a great book)

* Books by Roald Dahl (Matilda, etc.)

* The Cricket in Times Square by George Seldon

* Ella Enchanted by Gail Carson Levine (I'm adding this fantasy because it seems that your sister likes humorous books - and this book is that and more. It's a great story, the main character is hilarious, and it is aimed at a slightly older audience - I'd say at the 6th grade level, though it contains no objectionable content. Plus, kids tend to love this book.)

* Bruce Coville books (which are pretty funny) - My Teacher is an Alien, Aliens Ate My Homework, etc.

* Bunnicula by Deborah Howe

* The Chocolate Touch by Patrick Skene Catling

* Hank the Cowdog by John R. Erickson

* My brother has similar taste in books (he loves the Diary of a Wimpy Kid series), is an advanced reader, and loves Lemony Snicket's Series of Unfortunate Events series.

It seems that she likes more humorous books, so I tried to add the ones that would fall into that category. I hope you find her something that she loves. Good luck.

• God

I'll tell you what the series is and then put the books in order. =)

The immortal series by Alyson Noel:

Evermore

Blue Moon

Shadowland

Dark Flame

Night Star

Everlasting

The touch series by Laurie Faria Stolarz:

Deadly Little Secret

Deadly Little Lies

Deadly Little Games

Deadly Little Voices (it comes out this november!)

Percy Jackson & the olympian series by Rick Riodan:

The Lightning Thief

The Sea of Monsters

The Titan's Curse

The Battle of the Labyrinth

The Last Olympian

The Heroes of Olympus Series by Rick Riordan (same characters from the Percy Jackson series but you have to read the percy jackson series first to understand the heroes of olympus series)

The Lost Hero

The Son of Neptune (comes out this fall)

The Riley Bloom Series by Alyson Noel

Radiance

Shimmer

Dreamland (comes out this fall)

Whisper (comes out spring 2012)

Pretty Little Liars series by Sara Shepard:

Pretty Little Liars

Flawless

Perfect

Unbelievable

Wicked

Killer

Heartless

Wanted

Twisted

The Wolves of Mercy Falls series by Maggie Stiefvader:

Shiver

Linger

Forever (comes out this july!)

The Kane Chronicals series by Rick Riordan:

The Red Pyramid

The Throne of Fire

these books are AMAZING!

I think she'll like the Percy Jackson series the best! She might also like Dork Diaries, the first book is pink, it's like Diary of a Wimpy kid but the main character is a girl.

• ?

the twilight books with the help of Stephanie Meyer are better than 250 pages, yet i'd strongly propose them... despite the fact that there could be fairly intercourse interior the final couple of books.... Elizabeth Honey is a good author, all of her books are great and could in all probability be around the two hundred-4 hundred website mark. 40 5 + 47Stella highway and each little thing That befell (one e book) in specific is amazingly like a secret agent e book-that's approximately little ones who get new neighbours and that they look at greater into the neighbours and... do no longer prefer to wreck it for you. Wild timber Dancing and Cybele's secret with the help of Juliet Marillier are mind-blowing!! looking Cassie loopy is reasonably thick, yet an elementary examine, and Feeling Sorry for Celia does have intercourse, yet is in the website selection. those books are the two dazzling. with the help of Jacklyn Moriarty i'd fairly propose the inkheart trilogy with the help of Cornelia Funke. there could be greater pages than you're after, yet each so often that's good to venture your self! some books that I even have examine this year which in all probability greater healthy your standards Guitar highway Rose with the help of Brigid Lowry; See How They Run; secrets and techniques interior the hearth Parvana Voyager additionally, i've got not examine them, yet my friends have reported that the "flow ladies" sequence is nice. =] good success ????

The Readers' Choice.The book is organized to provide around one page often a little more on each book. This information includes a brief summary of the book, its appeal, how it differs from the movie if it is a novel, and the author's background.The book has a helpful index so that you can locate books by subject, in order to more quickly locate titles that match your needs. About three-quarters of the books are novels.

Why don't you try the Percy Jackson books? My 9 year old nephew loves them. You could also try the Nancy Drew series. I loved those when I was her age (and no, I'm not that old).