Shaelyn asked in PetsDogs · 9 years ago

My dog has a retained placenta?

So my long haired chihuahua had a litter of 4 puppies yesterday morning she did great with the first three the last one she struggled with. the placenta of the 4th got stuck while she was pushing the puppy out I sat and waited to see if it would come out. I ran out of the room for about two minutes leaving my dog and her pups with my helper so they wouldn't be alone when I got back into the room my helper told me that she ( my dog) ate the placenta. Well I was feeling around on her tummy today just making sure everything was ok and I felt something odd it almost felt like there was another puppy in there. I took her to the vet right after I found it and he said it was a retained placenta. he gave her a shot to prevent infection and said that her body would break it down. He did not tell me how long it would take to break it down and now of course it is past office hours so I cant call. Does any one know how long it will take for her to break it down?

the shot was not to break down the placenta it was to prevent infection. they said that giving her a shot to expel it is the same as inducing labor or contractions but the puppies nursing sets off the same hormone so it wouldn't do any good. all I was told was that the body would break down the placenta on its own. I did not keep a note book full of Research I did I have a whole filing cabinet full of information but all I found was if a placenta is retained the dog needs to be taken to a vet asap so that is what I did.

Favorite Answer

I have no idea. I never heard of a shot that would break down a retained placenta. Normally my vet gave shots of a drug that made the dog expel a retained placenta.

Call in the morning and ask about it.

Source(s): Breeder, retired

She should've been to the vet the day after pups were whelped. If there is ever a question about retained placentas, they will usually give a shot of oxytocin to induce expulsion of anything left behind. She could very well have a serious infection starting. You really should get her to a vet ASAP. If you cannot get her to a vet until Monday morning, keep her hydrated and make sure pups are nursing. Keep a check on her teats. If they get hard and really warm, you may have to start bottle feeding.

Your vet is an IDIOT and you need to take your dog to an e vet NOW or to a new vet FIRST THING IN THE MORNING.

Her body is NOT going to break it down. It will rot and despite the shot she was given may very well infect her and cause her to go septic.

Yes nursing puppies can cause contractions but there is no way in hell I would hang my *****'s health on them being strong enough to expel the retained placenta. Find another vet and get her a shot of oxytocin to clear her out.

The fact your vet told you this I would have her to an e vet tonight just to make sure its not actually a retained pup.

This Site Might Help You.

RE:

My dog has a retained placenta?

So my long haired chihuahua had a litter of 4 puppies yesterday morning she did great with the first three the last one she struggled with. the placenta of the 4th got stuck while she was pushing the puppy out I sat and waited to see if it would come out. I ran out of the room for about two minutes...

Source(s): dog retained placenta: https://biturl.im/nr0iG

I've had mine both ways too... but the husband prefers it short... he in no way complains when I grow it long, but is always all over himself w/the complements when I cut this off

No shot breaks down the placenta, it causes the uterus to contract to expell it. I suggest you contact a different "vet" since this one sounds like they has no clue.

• james

I actually personally think guys look extremely hotter with short hair. I had the guy friend that had a afro and he cut it in seventh grade year and he suddenly obtained soo much cuter.

My god --people like you breeding pets is a catastrophy on so many levels, plus you didn't even get it when your vet explained what the "shots" were for.

Get that dog spayed - all your "notebook full of Research" is good for is lining a bird cage.

talk to breeding mentor or vet

read the notebook of research you did before deciding to breed your pet

hope they all live.