Yahoo Answers is shutting down on May 4th, 2021 (Eastern Time) and beginning April 20th, 2021 (Eastern Time) the Yahoo Answers website will be in read-only mode. There will be no changes to other Yahoo properties or services, or your Yahoo account. You can find more information about the Yahoo Answers shutdown and how to download your data on this help page.

Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Yahoo ProductsYahoo Answers · 10 years ago

Is this a silverfish? If not... what is it? Must be answered!!! 10 POINTS! PLZ PLZ PLZ?

Ok, so I need one last insect for my bug project... I heard about silverfish and how they like wet, damp places... I went looking in a small creek and found a small insect that looks like a silverfish only it is really small and i found it in a creek!

It has 6 legs which means it is an insect and it has the same odd tail... if this isn't a type of silverfish then what is it and do u think it's a valid insect for an insect project!

2 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    10 years ago
    Favorite Answer

This photo is a silverfish. We need photo to see what you think and want to know about.

http://www.doyourownpestcontrol.com/silverfish.jpg

Silverfish are not fish and not usually in creeks.

They are small, wingless insects the common name derives from the animal's silvery light grey and blue colour, combined with the fish-like appearance of its movements.

The silverfish's diet is carbohydrates such as sugar or starches.

Silverfish are nocturnal, elongated and flattened insects typically 13–25 millimetres.

Their abdomen tapers at the end, giving them a fish-like appearance silverfish completely lack wings. They have long antennae, and move in a wiggling motion that resembles the movement of a fish. They inhabit moist areas, requiring a relative humidity between 75% and 95%.

In urban areas, they can be found in basements, bathrooms

Little help from Wiki

• 10 years ago

If it's called s Silverfish, it can't be an insect.

So, no?

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.