Sam
Sam asked in SportsWinter SportsSnowboarding · 9 years ago

Making a snowboard jib?

Hey guys, to kill some time before the season starts up my friends and I are gonna build a backyard box jib for the winter. Anybody have suggestions of the best way to make a stable box and what materials I should use? I have heard HDPE works well so we were planning on using that but if anybody has any tips on how to make a fun stable jib I'd appreciate it. Thanks.

Forgot to mention what my original plan is. I'm thinking of making two 8 foot "ladders" and putting them together that way, using plywood on the sides. So, two a foot ladders stood up on their side, with plywood on the outer sides, the two ladders connected by 2 foot pieces of wood as "bracts" or whatever you wanna call them. Then the HDPE on top. Good plan or will that not be stable?

Awesome John. Great info. If I can get a sweet box for 160 sounds like a good deal to me!

Favorite Answer

hey im making one for myself this winter too. about half way through right now, but we are making a rail instead of a box. there are two basic ways to build a box. either make the top out of several pvc pipes lying side by side which will be by far the cheapest or use a board of wood for the top with a sheet of HDPE bolted down on top which will give it more of a realistic look and feel but also be quite a bit more expensive. to cover a box that's about 1 foot wide by 8 feet long, HDPE will cost you anywhere from $50-$150 depending on how thick you want it to be. the other materials needed won't cost much, just get 2x4s and 2x6s, screw, paint, (handles?), and you're good to go. to buy the wood and pvc for the rail im making cost only $16 but a box will cost more. there are some great videos on youtube showing how to make boxes. here is the best one i could find for what you were describing:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qu42up5_OxI

Youtube thumbnail

this will be a very solid box but cost around $160 for the entire thing. if this is too pricey for your needs just look around on youtube and you can find some great stuff. have fun building!

1

Source(s): 16,000 Blueprints for Woodworking Projects http://WoodworkingProjects.enle.info/?OZ4w

it will slide without wax, the poles will be wet from the snow. but i usually make jibs from rolling up some chronic.