Why are bull terriers exempt?

I'm in the UK, so most bull terriers I encounter are Staffies or staffie mixes. Yesterday, as I was walking my very timid Saluki, on her lead, in an area where all dogs are required to be on leads, we were very nearly attacked YET AGAIN, by a bull terrier running loose. This animal approached us, stiff... show more I'm in the UK, so most bull terriers I encounter are Staffies or staffie mixes.

Yesterday, as I was walking my very timid Saluki, on her lead, in an area where all dogs are required to be on leads, we were very nearly attacked YET AGAIN, by a bull terrier running loose.

This animal approached us, stiff legged and hackles raised and proceeded to try to circle us, growling, whilst I stood between it and my dog and tried to guard against it getting behind us.

This went on for a very scary 5 minutes, before the owner finally appeared, put it on a lead and without a word to me proceeded to beat the crap out of it, like it was the dogs fault it was owned by a moron. (the owner was a middle aged woman, with friends in tow, not some young lad)

On nearly every occasion that I take my dogs out, there is a bull terrier or two running out of control, causing distress to someone, whilst their generally indifferent owners look on.

My dog and myself have been attacked, and been bitten on THREE separate occasions whilst minding our own business, I was badly bitten on one occasion whilst trying to protect my dog from yet another unprovoked bull terrier attack, but police responded that it was my fault for trying to split up fighting dogs (my dog wasn't fighting, she was being ripped into savagely, all whilst on her lead.)

I have never been attacked by any other breed whilst out walking my dogs, nor have I ever witnessed the flagrant discourtesy, ignorance and apathy of these dogs owners with any other breed/ type.

These owners were not young hoodies or 'chavs', two were female, one quite elderly, the owners are of all ages, both genders and various backgrounds, the one thing they have in common is there total irresponsibility and a quite assurance that the law / rules / courtesy and common sense does not apply to themselves or their breed, because bull terrier owners are, by merit of being bull terrier owners, always right.

Why is this?

I'm sure there must be responsible, courteous people out there who own bull terriers, why have I never met one? (It's not just in one area, this has taken place in many locations, from areas of relative wilderness to town parks, in every county I have lived in.
Update: For clarity I mean staffordshire bull terriers and mixes there of. I don't blame the dog, ....although to be fair, the dogs usually seem to be the more intelligent out of dog and owner, the owners are the ones who possess fingers and thumbs and therefore in m mind it is their responsibility to clip on the lead... show more For clarity I mean staffordshire bull terriers and mixes there of.

I don't blame the dog, ....although to be fair, the dogs usually seem to be the more intelligent out of dog and owner, the owners are the ones who possess fingers and thumbs and therefore in m mind it is their responsibility to clip on the lead and hold on to it.
Update 2: police LOL, we don't have many police here, it took them 4 hours respond to a lady who was being hacked to death with an axe recently, I don't hold much hope that they would be of any assistance. Like I said, I got badly bitten by one of these dogs a while back, I reported it, and the Dr at the hospice where I... show more police LOL, we don't have many police here, it took them 4 hours respond to a lady who was being hacked to death with an axe recently, I don't hold much hope that they would be of any assistance.

Like I said, I got badly bitten by one of these dogs a while back, I reported it, and the Dr at the hospice where I was working treated me, took photos, documented in writing for the police.

I got a call from a 'victim support worker' 3 weeks later to see if I'd topped myself / died of infection / was suffering flash backs, haven't heard anything since then.

Update 3: @ horselover you think I jest? When I lived in my previous house, the neighbors, who by the way were BANNED by rspca from owning animals, had two staffy bull type dogs, one of which climbed the mountain of junk in their garden to get over the fence and maul my little rat terrier, if I hadn't been there in the... show more
@ horselover you think I jest? When I lived in my previous house, the neighbors, who by the way were BANNED by rspca from owning animals, had two staffy bull type dogs, one of which climbed the mountain of junk in their garden to get over the fence and maul my little rat terrier, if I hadn't been there in the garden my dog would be dead, police just asked them nicely to keep the dogs under control, they didn't even offer to contribute to the vets bill, which was considerable.

A few weeks later same dog dug under the fence, luckily I saw it coming that time and got my dogs in.

So yes, pretty much everywhere, it's really not funny when your dogs bleeding profusely, and is attacked in her own garden, I didn't dare let her out without standing over her.