Gabriel asked in PetsOther - Pets · 9 years ago

can you get rocky mountain spotted fever from a dog?

My neighbor works for the local shelter for dogs a they found a dog on the side of the street they brought it to there house after 6 day it started bleeding out of it nose the vet said it had rocky mountain spotted fever the dog had puppy's i wanted to get one but sense the mom had rocky mountain spotted fever i didn't know if the puppy's could have the disease could you tell me if the puppy's could have rocky mountain spotted fever or if thay could give it to my or my family.

Favorite Answer

Rocky Mountain spotted fever is a disease transmitted by ticks.. Rocky Mountain spotted fever is caused by Rickettsia rickettsii. It is one of many rickettsia organisms, which on the evolutionary scale are between bacteria and viruses.

Rocky Mountain spotted fever is one of the most commonly known tick-borne diseases to affect dogs and humans. It belongs to a class of diseases known as Rickettsia; rod-shaped microorganisms that resemble bacteria, but which behave like viruses, reproducing only inside living cells. Rickettsia rickettsii -- the organism responsible for Rocky Mountain spotted fever -- lives parasitically in ticks and is transmitted by bite to vertebrate hosts. It's very possiable that the puppys could be sick, I would talk this over with a vet.. Now as far as you getting this, those host tick would have to bite you...

Source(s): pet owner..

How long was the tick on the dog? Was it less than 24 hours (lower chance for infection if the tick was found right away)? Do you live in an area where rocky mountain spotted fever is prevalent (Southeastern United States)? Take your dog to the vet and ask her all of your questions about the disease. The vet can put the dog on doxycycline which is an antibiotic used to treat tick borne illnesses. ETA: Your vet won't want to wait for test results if she thinks it is likely that the dog was exposed. It can be missed by blood tests if the bite was less than a week ago.

• leia

i'm not sure....but the puppies could very well have it