Yahoo Answers is shutting down on May 4th, 2021 (Eastern Time) and beginning April 20th, 2021 (Eastern Time) the Yahoo Answers website will be in read-only mode. There will be no changes to other Yahoo properties or services, or your Yahoo account. You can find more information about the Yahoo Answers shutdown and how to download your data on this help page.

?
Lv 6
? asked in Social ScienceGender Studies · 10 years ago

Why is the media so concerned with Amanda Knox & not Raffaele Sollecito when both suffered for the same thing?

From what I understand, both were wrongly accused, both sent to jail, both suffered for the same situation. Yet the media has been so concerned for Amanda as if she was the only victim. Why is this?

Is this proof that society only cares about women, not men.

Is this proof is sexism against men?

It would be an emotional trauma to be Raffaele, sitting there hearing about everyones concerns about Amanda, and ignoring his suffering.

Thoughts?

Update:

"Is this proof is sexism against men?"

I meant to say, 'Is this proof OF sexism against men?'

14 Answers

Relevance
  • Jared
    Lv 7
    10 years ago
    Favorite Answer

Our media knows, from past experience, that the whole world will tune in if a misfortune happens to a young, attractive white girl.

So it's not just sexism - it's also ageism, and even racism. If Amanda Knox had been a 38 year old black woman, none of us would have any idea who she is, and she'd probably still be in prison.

For that matter, if Amanda Knox had had bad acne, none of us would have any idea who she is, and she'd probably still be in prison.

• Anonymous
    4 years ago

"i'm puzzled approximately England and Britain. they seem to each now and then be used interchangeably. " - that should possibly be incorrect then, subsequently they have distinctive names initially. If it has a distinctive call then it possibly skill some thing else. in basic terms... See somewhat common map image link under that explains here. Scotland = Scotland England = England Wales = Wales great Britain (or Britian) = great island on the excellent suited great Britain (or Britian) = the place Scotland, Wales and England are all got here across in basic terms eire = smaller island on the left eire = the place Republic of eire (eire) and northerly eire are got here across in basic terms uk = a rustic of international places uk = Scotland, England, Wales and northerly eire. Republic of eire isn't part of uk. They left some years in the past. subsequently there is two Irelands through a chop up of modifications. somewhat some the belongings you're writing is erroneous. Getting them incorrect ought to reason offence. yet it relatively is the excellent suited place to ask those issues and to learn. So properly achieved.

• 10 years ago

I am with you. I do not know about all the forensic evidence and did not follow the case, but everyone seems comfortable with the prospect of that young man being guilty. And what about Amanda falsely accusing that other fellow, a bartender who was ultimately vindicated ? WIll she have to answer for that ?

This also reminds me of that case where a young nanny from England killed that mixed-race child in New England (if I remember correctly). She confessed to the police then changed her story on the stand, and an unrelated couple waiting on line with her told how she hated the child, having to clean up after her/him. Barry Scheck was her lead lawyer, refused to accept a plea to a lesser charge, spun the dice, and she was judged guilty by the jury. But being a female and from England, the judge could not possibly think she was guilty and vacated the verdict, despite whatever evidence there was.

Talk about justice.

• ?
    Lv 5
    10 years ago

i bet they talk about him enough on italian television.here on american television they are talking about one of our own.most of us wanted that gal out of lock up in italy.the media here needed to keep the word out there.in the long run we support our people.she's free and home!!!god bless america.we have our issues but theres no place like home!!!

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Eve
    Lv 7
    10 years ago

I think it is probably because you are watching American news, and she is American. If you were in Italy, you'd get a lot more coverage of Raffaele.

• ?
    Lv 6
    10 years ago

Sex crazed, vicious murdering skank b*tch = news. Dumb, 'along for the ride' dopey dude, white guy= yawn. Who cares?

• Nova
    Lv 6
    10 years ago

"Is this proof that society only cares about women, not men"

Only if she is white. And reasonably pretty. Otherwise, she wouldn't even make page g in newspaper.

• Anonymous
    10 years ago

"Suffered"?? How about the chick who died???

Accidentally I guess. Or maybe she committed suicide.

Anyways, now sweet amanda can join OJ & Casey Anthony & look for the "real" killers.

• Anonymous
    10 years ago

You are right in your assumption.

A man's value is in what he has and what he does, in our society.

The whole reason she was a media darling was because she was a young, white, good looking girl.

• David
    Lv 7
    10 years ago

American media focuses on her because she's American. He's not. Simple as that.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.