Why does marijuana make you high?

I just can't come up with a probable explanation. Is it a defense mechanism? Why does marijuana naturally produce THC and what is its natural purpose? Thanks for reading and that goes double for answering.

Best Answer

Purpose is truly unknown, though it clearly, naturally made, has a potential to be medicine. Synthetic THC on the other hand, is not so good. Our body has two cannabinoid (sp.) receptors which are responsible for the usage of THC within our bodies, so really our bodies were made to process it... asking why a plant grows with a chemical in it is like asking why coffee beans grow with caffeine in them, it's hard to explain, I don't even know if there is a real answer

It's theorized that the THC (resin) is sticky, and can therefore pick up pollen, since bees have no reason to mess with weed, they will not bring pollen to it and therefore marijuana relies on airborn pollination to reproduce, having a sticky substance would help trap those airborn pollen bits, another theory is that it protects the plants from the sun's UV rays, and the third and final theory I've heard says that it deters animals from eating the plant.

Though all, or none of these theory's can be correct, we really don't know, not enough study has gone into marijuana, thanks to the war on drugs

John Bender, no offence brah, but that's some foolish stuff to say, any experienced weed smoker knows that it has NO effect on your vision whatsoever, not to mention I've never felt like I was flying before, after 5 years of smoking weed, I can safely say that it doesn't "invert" anything but maybe your mood, and the "inversion" always leads to happiness, weed makes people feel happy, nothing more...but you are right about the receptors, what I meant to say is there's two types of receptors, one in the brain (central nervous system) and one in the immune system... and although there are many types of weed, the effects really don't vary that much, there's either the kind that makes your body feel relaxed or the kind that makes your brain feel relaxed, or the weed that does both, other than that there's nothing different between other than the amount it would take to get you high for example you could buy hyrdo and you can buy exotic, and the exotic will get you high off one hoot, whereas hydro would take 2, but the high is the same... Also I don't know why you're telling him what THC is, he mentioned it in the question, I'm sure he knows it gets you high, he wants to know why the plant had THC in the first place lol...

Also RSB, no change in thought process, at all, no slavery nothing, I can tell you've never smoked weed before if you think it's witchcraft. And it's never made me do anything I wouldn't normally do, those are things you blame the user for, not the substance. Also... the bible... let's talk about that one....

"A healing plant. On either side of the river, was there the tree of life, which bare 12 manner of fruits, and yielding her fruit every month; and the leaves of the tree were for the healing of the nations. (Revelations 22:1-2)"

I don't know about you, but I don't know many plants with healing properties, that can be harvested every month, you know whoever wrote the bible had to have been high.

Check out this link to see just how much the Bible mentions a plant oh so similar to weed:

http://www.scribd.com/doc/2466222/Marijuana-The-Bi...

Source(s): Studying marijuana for years now, also an avid pot smoker

Its the chemical in Marijuana "Tetrahydrocannabinol" Also called "THC" in short. THC is known to interrupt with normal function in cannabinoid receptors. It is unsure exactly what else the THC does because Marijuana is such a complicated drug. There are literally hundreds maybe even thousands of different cannabinoid receptors in not only just the brain but the body as well. Ive watched some scientific studies on it. There are so many and so many different types of Marijuana in general that all of them effect you differently as well. Amazing isn't it? Well its true that once the THC attaches to any cannabinoid receptor it usually just tells it to do the opposite of what it was going to do without the THC present. Thats why when really stoned Marijuana is known to invert your vision, make you feel like you're flying. etc. It literally mirrors your world but this usually only happens if you don't smoke often because once you become more immune and tolerant. It begins to just relax you more than anything else. And that is why people smoke it. We may not have all of the answers yet to how THC acts in the brain but we do have some knowledge to it. And the important thing is we know that its safe and nobody has ever died from it. We also know that marijuana doesn't cause any permanent brain damage. If anything someone who smokes might feel stupid when smoking the weed but this goes away when the high does. In short. Marijuana is fun and its great to experiment with because we truly don't know everything about it. All we know is that its safe.

lol. okay. well i've been smoking for over a year, and i love it.. i've had so many experiences that i cant come close to remembering all of them. Its near impossible to describe the high. You can get a different high every time. It all depends on how much you smoke, how you smoke, and what you smoke. Obvously higher grades of pot will get you higher, and the more you smoke will add to the high. I think the defenition of the best high would be complete relaxation, and no worries. My favorite highs are when i'm with my best friends, laughing the whole time, smoking, eating and just hanging out. Some highs can make you paroind and thats not fun. You freak out every 3 seconds to see if your parents are coming home or if you have to clean up. You can also get really hyper highs were all you do is laugh, or really chilled out highs were you sit there the whole time and just think. But the one highs i probly hate the most are when you get regs, and you smoke to much of them, becuase then all it does it cause you to get smoked out and your head throbs. anyways,, yeah,, best high would defentaly be the ones where i laugh the whole time, and everything is funny, and alot of your high depends on the people you are around. Dont smoke with people you dont like, people that dont like you, or people that dont have the same mind set as you. I love when i smoke with my best friends becuase we can talk about the same stuff, and think about the same stuff and have a fun as **** high time.

Because it is witchcraft. The Greek word 'Pharmakia', it is where we get the word pharmacy. It's the word for drug. It means anything that obscures one's sight, making them do something they normally would not. This coupled with the answers of others just go to show, that like other medicine, it causes your body to do things it normally would not. This changes your thought process. That's slavery to me.

Source(s): The Bible

im not sure, google.