How soon after planting new grass seed can I use winter fertilizer?

I just planted new grass seed over a week ago and the new grass is coming up but now I want to get some winter fertilizer and I'm not sure how long I should wait or do I have to wait?

Favorite Answer

As long as this winter fertilizer does not have any weed control, you can apply it anytime after you have seeded.

It is recommend however, that you use a Starter Fertilizer. Most starter fertilizer are designed to help the new seeded areas develop a healthy root system.

When To Fertilize New Grass

If you're going to seed you had better do it soon. Like today or tomorrow. You're pushing your luck with winter coming on. But you are definitely going to want to fertilize 4-6 weeks after you seed. No sooner. Also, make sure you get a Starter Fertilizer.

If it is a cool season grass like rye grass, etc., you can begin fertilizing at 1/2 the recommended rate after you have mown it 3 times. Also ask your local county extension office for info. for your area.

• Mark

wait till next year,, you will kill your new grass.

if you wanted to fert you should have done it before seeding. your seeds dont need any fert they will be fine