can my landlord evict me when his eviction just went to court and he lost?

Can my landlord evict me when his eviction just went to court and he lost?

Me my Fiance and our children live in Chemung County, New York. We have been withholding our rent from our landlord since July, because he has known about a roach infestation in our apartment since we moved in and kept telling us that he would fix it. (we have been living here almost 2 years now). He just took us to court for an eviction for non-payment of rent. He was told to fix the roach infestation, among other code violations. He had an exterminator here and he put down a " Bait" and a "spray", since then we have been seeing them more and now they are crawling up our legs in the living room. We had to go back to court 2 weeks after the first time to see how things were, the judge looked in our landlords face pointed his finger and said " People should not have to live with roaches" " Eviction case dismissed". Four Days later we come home from work and there are two 30 days notices to vacate the apartment. Can he do this to us? It doesn't even look like a legit 30 day notice but it is signed by an attorney.

Favorite Answer

No but he'll probably make you life hell!

Source(s): I am a retired Inspector. I retired as an Inspector, after 32 years, from a very large department store with about 12,000 staff. I was a night patrol Inspector for 4 years in a very diverse area. I was a tactical officer in the high price project areas of my store. We called it vertical patrol in that we walked the the stairways of the high prices most of the time. I did that for 5 years and was promoted by test to manager. I worked violent crime (shop lifting, cottaging sex, staff assaults, general robbery, pet stealing, serious non property incidents like wasting electricity) for 11 years until I was promoted to bigger manager. I worked as a shop supervisor, a bicycle sales supervisor and a desk monitor and I changed my name several times. I have a B.A in English and an M.S. in Shop Administration and I hate people who come on here with a load of B.S. If anyone's an expert at that, it's M.E....
  • Tabby

Use that 4 months of rent that you haven't spent and get a new place to live. Either that or use it to fix your place of the roach issue. Yes he can do it. It's just starting the process over.

It has to be signed by a judge.

Source(s): I am a retired police officer. I retired as a sergeant, after 29 years, from a very large department, about 12,000 officers. I was a patrol officer for 4 years in a very diverse area. I was a tactical officer in the high rise project areas of my city. We called it vertical patrol in that we walked the the stairways of the high rises most of the time. I did that for 5 years and was promoted by test to detective. I worked violent crime (homicide, sex, officer involved shootings, robbery, kidnapping, serious non property incidents) for 11 years until I was promoted to sergeant. I worked as a street supervisor, a bicycle patrol supervisor and a desk sergeant/watch commander. During my time as a tactical officer and a detective I was a unit representative for the police union. I have a B.A in English and an M.S. in Law Enforcement Administration....