Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Business & FinanceTaxesUnited Kingdom · 9 years ago

question about Inland Revenue Service?

I have today received an E-Mail from the Internal Revenue Service,with an attachment,on trying to open this attachment ,i got a message telling me the attachment is invalid,also the e-mail was sent to me through bt openworld,yahoo mail,and aol.

Does anyone know if the IRS actually contact people via e-mail concerning taxes.right now i am of the opinion this is a scam,i have replied to this e-mail telling them if this e-mail is genuine then they should contact me by letter using the Royal Mail postal service.

What do you guys out there think, have any of yous been contacted by the IRS via e-mail ?

Answers from any IRS workers/staff would be appreciated

Update:

This e-mail was from the Internal Revenue Service,and not the Inland Revenue Service, and i doubt very much if IRS would send any such information through the internet

4 Answers

Relevance
  • 9 years ago
    Favorite Answer

The IRS NEVER contacts people by email - they have warnings all over their site about these scams falsely using their name

http://www.irs.gov/privacy/article/0,,id=179820,00...

":Protect your personal information! The IRS does not initiate taxpayer communications through email"

"All unsolicited email claiming to be from either the IRS or any other IRS-related components such as EFTPS, should be reported to phishing@irs.gov."

"If

You receive an email claiming to be from the IRS that contains a request for personal information …

Then

Do not reply.

Do not open any attachments. Attachments may contain malicious code that will infect your computer.

Do not click on any links.

If you clicked on links in a suspicious email or phishing website and entered confidential information, visit our identity protection page.

Forward the email as-is, to us at phishing@irs.gov.

After you forward the email and/or header information to us, delete the original email message you received."

This is a scam sending you an infected attachment. If you clicked on it you need to immediately run a scan for viruses and malware

• Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • 9 years ago

In the UK HMRC (not inland revenue for years) never uses e-mail to contact customers. Some of us have access to e-mail serices for in between office stuff but under no circumstancs do we use e-mail outside our own network.

it is a scam - virus check aftr deletion.

• Anonymous
    9 years ago

If you're in the UK you shouldn't be getting messages from Internal Revenue Service because that is in America so it's a scam. In the UK we have Revenue and Customs.

• 9 years ago

No

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.