Question about Inland Revenue Service?

I have today received an E-Mail from the Internal Revenue Service,with an attachment,on trying to open this attachment ,i got a message telling me the attachment is invalid,also the e-mail was sent to me through bt openworld,yahoo mail,and aol. Does anyone know if the IRS actually contact people via e-mail... show more I have today received an E-Mail from the Internal Revenue Service,with an attachment,on trying to open this attachment ,i got a message telling me the attachment is invalid,also the e-mail was sent to me through bt openworld,yahoo mail,and aol.
Does anyone know if the IRS actually contact people via e-mail concerning taxes.right now i am of the opinion this is a scam,i have replied to this e-mail telling them if this e-mail is genuine then they should contact me by letter using the Royal Mail postal service.
What do you guys out there think, have any of yous been contacted by the IRS via e-mail ?
Answers from any IRS workers/staff would be appreciated
Update: This e-mail was from the Internal Revenue Service,and not the Inland Revenue Service, and i doubt very much if IRS would send any such information through the internet