where can you find a bmw motor sports s42 engine?

i have a 1993 BMW 318is and have a lot of cash to upgrade it and was interested in the s42 but cant find anything on it.

3 Answers

Relevance
  • 8 years ago
    Favorite Answer

The S42B20 was a racing engine that was built for the German 4dr racing series called the STW or Super Tourenwagen Cup. It was based off of the stock M42B18 engine in your car. It produced 300hp-315hp. Since it was built for racing applications in Germany, I doubt you'd be able to get your hands on one. But a comparable engine just might do. The S14B23 is the engine that powered the E-30 M3. In stock trim it produced 197hp. There was an Evo version, the S14B25 which produced 250hp and with proper tuning could easily produce over 350hp naturally aspirated. This engine is available in Europe and some parts of the US. Even if you cannot find the S14B25, you can find the S14B23 and modify with a stroker kit and tune accordingly. Some of the heavily modified versions are used in the Austrian hill climb races in the BMW 320 cars. Or you could modify your current engine to the S42B20 Specs. It had a displacement increase to 1,999cc, ITB setup, eight fuel injectors, tuned flow airbox made completely of carbon fiber and a dry sump oiling system. There are other internal details I do not know about. The modifications listed ARE NOT going to produce 300-315hp alone. You'd have to get all the specs which since it was a racing engine, are slim to none. Best bet it to find a S14B23 and modify from there. Good Luck.

Source(s): Myself BMW race technical articles,
    • Login to reply the answers
  • powley
    Lv 4
    3 years ago

Bmw S42 Engine

• NXXN
    Lv 6
    8 years ago

The S42 is a RACE engine based on the M42 in your 318is.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.