Anonymous
Anonymous asked in HealthDiet & Fitness · 8 years ago

I workout at a gym and I was wondering do you burn calories in a Steam Room?

4 Answers

Relevance
  • ChrisP
    Lv 6
    8 years ago
    Favorite Answer

Yes you burn calories in a steam room, but not much more than you would burn sitting on the couch.

However, if you use the steam room regularly, it can help you maintain a healthy weight. A Japanese study looked at a group of overweight people who were put on a calorie controlled diet and took a sauna bath -- which is similar to a steam bath -- twice a day for two weeks. At the end of that time, all of them had lost weight.

The researchers believe that spending time in the heat helped regulate the appetite centers of their brains. Unlike control groups on just the calorie controlled diet, the people who used the heat bath cheated on their diet less and sometimes ate much fewer calories than they were allowed.

So while it won't burn calories, it can help you lose weight.

• Login to reply the answers
  • Anonymous
    8 years ago

The only way it may burn calories is if it increases your heart rate. But generally speaking you wont be spending too long in there anyway (10-15 mins perhaps depending on how hot it is). So the calorie burn would be negligible. I've seen some people doing exercises in those rooms (situps and just kicking their legs) this certainly will get your heart rate up, but really you can just go outside and run and get the same effect.

You may notice that after a session of swimming and steaming and spa and sauna and all that you have lost weight. Most of this is due to dehydration. It's what jockeys and boxers do to lose wait rapidly so they can qualify for their sport which has weight restrictions. But if you did this you will just put it back on the next day, and being dehydrated is unhealthy for you anyway.

• Edward
    Lv 6
    8 years ago

Steam rooms can be great for you in moderation. They have a lot of health benefits when used safely.

As for weight loss, most of that is just water from sweat, so you have to be careful not to get dehydrated or overheated. I haven't seen anything on them helping to burn calories.I could see where some people might think that the heat would "burn" calories, but the body doesn't work like that.

• Anonymous
    8 years ago

A steam room really just sweats out water weight.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.