Which do you agree with Jesus or Paul?

Jesus - Judge not, that ye be not judged. Matthew 7:1

Paul - Is it not certain that the saints will be the judges of the world? if then the world will be judged by you, are you unable to give a decision about the smallest things? Is it not certain that we are to be the judges of angels? how much more then of the things of this life? 1 Corinthians 6:2-3

17 Answers

Relevance
  • ?
    Lv 7
    9 years ago
    Favorite Answer

They are NOT contradictory. Sadly, you, and SO many others, merely STOP at Matthew 7:1 and TOTALLY, and PURPOSELY, leave the remaining verses off. I quote from the article cited below to explain further...

When Jesus told us not to judge (Matthew 7:1), He was telling us not to judge hypocritically. Matthew 7:2-5 declares, "For in the same way you judge others, you will be judged, and with the measure you use, it will be measured to you. Why do you look at the speck of sawdust in your brother's eye and pay no attention to the plank in your own eye? How can you say to your brother, ‘Let me take the speck out of your eye’ when all the time there is a plank in your own eye? You hypocrite, first take the plank out of your own eye, and then you will see clearly to remove the speck from your brother's eye." What Jesus was condemning here was hypocritical, self-righteous judgments of others. ... We are to "judge" sin, but always with the goal of presenting the solution for sin and its consequences—the Lord Jesus Christ (John 14:6).

So, please, The Bible is to be taken as a WHOLE, not as bits and pieces! And people accuse Christians of picking and choosing!

Forgive others as I have forgiven you.

I’m not here to win a popularity contest, but to witness to and speak the TRUTH.

• 9 years ago

1. Jesus is warning believers not to be quick to condemn others and certainly not to be hypocritical in judgment. If I am criticizing someone for being sexually wild and in the meantime I am fornicating in private, I am going to be judged by the same standard I judged others. And thus I am just as guilty.

2. Paul is talking about the issue of a Christian taking another Christian to court, which the Bible says NOT to do. The point Paul is making is that Christians are going to be given authority to judge many people in the world during the Millennial Kingdom of Jesus Christ on Earth. In addition, we will also judge the angels who sinned and rebelled against God. So given that, we should be able to resolve issues we have with each other through the church and not by suing each other in court.

I hope that helps. God bless.

How to Get to Heaven

http://beginningandend.com/how-to-get-to-heaven/

• 9 years ago

I think you should look at the context of both passages.

Firstly, Paul himself is being sarcastic. The Corinthian Church was so prideful and arrogant they thought they were experts, not God. Paul sarcastically says, “Hey, you guys! You’re so smart you think you are going to judge the world? You’re calling yourselves ‘judges of saints?’ And in the situations at hand you know-it-alls can’t even make a decision?”

Turn in your Bible to 1 Corinthians 4:4. What does it say? Who is the judge?

Also, Matthew 7 is referring to hypocritical judgements. Thats a no no.

• Anonymous
    9 years ago

Finding an answer in the Bible is not just a "one verse" or "few verses" option. The Bible is intended to be read in a way so as to be absorbed and meditated upon, verse by verse, preferably by chapter or chapters. Otherwise, the meaning behind what is being said will not be comprehended accurately. It isn't about comparing who says what. The verses you put in your question are speaking about two entirely different issues.

In Matthew, Jesus is teaching the people not to judge other people, otherwise they will be judged as well. And in the manner they judge others, they will also be judged the same way. His message to us is to refrain from judgement altogether.

In 1 Corinthians, Paul speaks about lawsuits among believers. He is saying that the matter will not be resolved by ungodly people, that it must be taken before God's people, not by "those whose way of life is scorned by the church". He questions the wisdom of those who have disputes amongst themselves, and especially, in front of unbelievers, warning those who do this will not inherit the kingdom of God.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Gaius
    Lv 6
    9 years ago

You are misinterpreting what is evident (to all critics) that the verse says. The verse by Paul is referring to decisions regarding the church, and then talks about how Christians will one day judge either the 12 tribes of Israel as Jesus said, or more like a judicial body as found in Daniel.

The verse by Jesus is a totally different subject, that is the judegment of a person based on the laws of God. We are to help each other to see the error, not consider the person to be dead to society (socially and physically).

• 9 years ago

You're confusing two distinct things. Jesus was openly condemning those that judge others and then do the same things. (i.e. those that would condemn adultery, yet lust after women in their hearts).

Paul is speaking of Christians being able to use discernment in disagreements between Christians. Because, as he pointed out, Christians were taking other Christians to court and that in front of unbelievers.

Two distinct thoughts, so, to answer your question, I agree with both.

• 9 years ago

Yes!

Or to be a little more specific, Jesus was talking about not judging the unbelievers, God will do that. Paul was talking about that at the end times the believers will judge the world (not right now.)

• Annie
    Lv 7
    9 years ago

Look at the verse REAL close, and study them REAL close...... they are talking about 2 different intentions and ways of being the *judge*....

Jesus is talking about the gaval type of judging, the * I condemn* you type, the * you are guilty* , etc.....

Paul is talking about *discernment* , figuring out and seeing right from wrong, knowing what God wants and what man wants, etc... Knowing who and what is OF God .....

Child of God - X atheist

• Anonymous
    9 years ago

Paul was dealing with the practical question of whether Christians should resort to Roman courts to settle their disputes, and he was urging them to not to. Jesus was talking about the peril of hypocrisy.

Two different questions, two different answers.

• Anonymous
    9 years ago

If you actually read this correctly, it is talking about a time AFTER Christ returns. that those who know Him, will sit as judges!

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.