Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureReligion & Spirituality · 8 years ago

Atheists - Is it possible for you to consider the reality of Jesus Christ even if in fact never existed anyway?

Visionaries of freedom have often imagined the reality of freedom in the world even if at the time it did not exist; for faith is the evidence of things not (yet) seen. Could that means something that can exist but does not exist, but that depends on the faith, persistence, and devotion of people to find its way into existence?

Just because something has never existed or does not exist; that does not say that it can never exist or that concepts do not have a reality of their own apart from what exists, but that requires a brain to imagine or bring into being in mind and then in realisation in the existing world.

SO, can you imagine the REALITY of Jesus Christ even if he never existed and can you figure a way to bring him to life in the existing world, his defining character and principles, maybe in yourself or in society; can you imagine him as a model to mould yourself to and your neighbours and society?

AND if you did this, would you not say that Jesus Christ has risen to life in the heart and mind of men(or her), could you then say that yes Jesus exists right now as potential at first and then as an actual force in the world?

Perhaps, you judge wrongly the nature of existence and reality, just because it don't exist, don't mean it ain't real onto itself as something that could potentially become existing.

Perhaps the model of Jesus is not as perfect as the height of science, but perhaps it gives a direction for humanity to aspire. Are not legends good models to emulate things to aspire in the existing world? All it takes is imagination and the vision to make it happen, do you have what it takes to make Jesus Christ a reality in the existing world?

____

(my stance at this time)

I follow nature; nature explains what nature is, it is an unnecessary and presumptuous step to invoke something beyond nature.~naturalist

I allow that evidence supporting theists may come forth but it is not evident that will happen, so I will act as though it won't, and if it does I am open to it; and I am open to intellectual debates too, though the final verdict may require tangible evidence.~agnostic

God is a religious concept, there are no indicators it is an actual thing; most theist argument involve emotion and specious speculative arguments; so for now I abstain from faith in it, though I do sympathise with the underlying motivation, such in my view needs transformation into real application.~atheist

________

Just because I am an atheist agnostic naturalist in the ACTUAL state of affairs, that does NOT mean I am not a Christian, Muslim or Jew in the POTENTIAL state of affairs, it don't mean that I cannot empathise and sympathise and imagine, and agree in the POTENTIAL state of affairs those philosophies of life (people call 'religion').

It IS POSSIBLE to believe in GOD and not believe in God at the same time, but one in the actual sense and other as the potential reality in and of itself, beyond what we call the existing world.

This is something I will think about, and I wonder: how does this change the way I interpret philosophies of life (that people may call 'religion')?

I believe this question is a valid question, and the question is furthered in the detail section, it may take some mental synthesis to see the deeper questions there, but the question is basically "can atheists imagine the reality of things that don't exist, in and of themselves beyond what is in the existing world?".

Another way to think about is that there do exist VIRTUAL realities that must be grasped by the mind(or a mind) and then realised in the world through skilled planning and implementation.

There was a time when planes never existed and now they exist, because a mind made them happen in the existing world, and the concept of flight may transcend the existing world and the flight that has been realised is just a subset of the grand possibility of flight in many a medium or universe.

Favorite Answer

You mean, is it possible to take more of a Buddhist approach to Jesus Christ, so that instead of viewing him as an actual historical figure who walked the earth, you focus on him as a figure to be emulated and/or learn from? And you take terms like "son of God" and "resurrection" as strictly symbolic things? Sure. I don't see why not. I wouldn't be surprised if there's a sect or two of Christianity which already takes this approach.

But as for me personally, I have absolutely no desire to do that. I've read the Gospels and I simply find the character of Jesus to be insane and despicable. This is a guy who said to gouge out your eyeball if a woman makes you horny (Matthew 5:28-30), and also yelled at fig trees (Mark 11:14), said to give away all of your money (Matthew 19:21), and hate your parents (Luke 14:26). I don't want to have anything at all to do with Christianity, on any level.

Another thing that I'm not, is a solipsist. I'm not going to waste my time with notions of the "potential existence" of imaginary things.

"It IS POSSIBLE to believe in GOD and not believe in God at the same time"

No, it isn't. While it's certainly possible (in fact, inevitable) to believe in some aspects people have claimed about "God" while rejecting certain other ones, the bottom line is that your definition of "God" either fits your definition of a deity, or it doesn't.

This is not a question; it's a nonsensical rant (e.g. "can you imagine the REALITY of Jesus Christ even if he never existed?")

All reliable evidence points to Jesus being just a myth. There is no reliable evidence that Jesus even existed, and significant evidence that he didn't. The evidence is in the Bible, the other religions of the time, and the lack of writings about Jesus by historians of the time.

The story of Jesus can be shown to be just a myth cobbled together out of prophesy and stories from the Old Testament and previous gods and myths -- created in the 40's and 50's by Paul of Tarsus (who exhibited evidence of epilepsy and had delusions of Christ talking to him), the other apostles, the unknown authors of the gospels in the 70's or later, and many other people. The reliable evidence for this is overwhelming.

For much more evidence, see the links.

-

To summarize - you are suggesting that I imagine taht Jesus does exist currently . this would presumably be the Jesus described by teh bible , but which one? Why would I do such a thing? I could imagine many things which dont' exist, if that made them come into existence I would certainly work on something more helpful to the world than Jesus .

your interpretation of whatever "jesus" is can be (is) faulty and incomplete, or, worse, it is merely what YOU wish it to be, therefore can never be reality for anyone else. Believe what you want, or believe what you believe . . . .. for most of the rest of us, however the issue is not a Jesus as ideal, but Jesus as THE, and only ideal that we hear about and are subjected to.

The Hindu r eligion basically incourages people to find their own God (icon, person or whatever they choose to believe) as "all roads lead to God . . .. whatever God turns out to be. By the way "agnostic atheist" is an oxymoron . . . "naturalism" has nothing to do with either position.

There is no reliable historical evidence of his existence. The sayings attributed to him are rather generic and the story of his life is nothing more than poorly contrived mythology.

Taoist/Atheist (realist)

I can imagine jesus existed

I cannot accept that he was an annointed messiah........ although my imagination could encompass that fact.

but, to put his precepts into my life would require knowing what those precepts were...... ya know there are about 34,000 christian denominations and they encompass a range of *beliefs* about jesus and what he would approve of and disapprove of.

your question is like asking 'can you imagine a winged horse' {yes}

'can you imagine him flying over cities' {yes}

OK, so know you and me agree on exactly which cities he flew over {errrr, hold on a minute??????}

I can think of a lot better things to do with my life than spend it imagining things are real.

I consider the "reality" of Jesus, as much as I consider the reality of Santa Claus.

"Consider the reality of something that doesn't exist" - Isn't that called Christianity (Or Islam) ?

• Bear A

I really hate saying 'TL;DR', so...

Yes, it is possible for me to consider the possibility of Jesus Christ existing... just as it is possible to consider the possibility of anything existing (whether existent or not).