Why do so many fans of Japanese manga insult American comics?

I’ve been reading Japanese manga my entire life. It has not been until very recently that I started reading any American comics (pretty much all of them from my boyfriend’s collection). So far, I'm highly enjoying the comics he's been giving me. Anyway, I’ve noticed on this site in particular, a lot of... show more I’ve been reading Japanese manga my entire life. It has not been until very recently that I started reading any American comics (pretty much all of them from my boyfriend’s collection). So far, I'm highly enjoying the comics he's been giving me. Anyway, I’ve noticed on this site in particular, a lot of manga fans insult American comics. A lot of these claims are not true. One of the strangest claims is that American comics have no diversity. I keep hearing that there is no variety in western comics and that they are all about superheroes. Oddly enough, I still haven't read any superhero comics yet (I still have to read Watchmen). This is simply not true. I've been reading comics like American Splendor, Ghost World, Road to Perdition, and Maus: A Survivor's Tale to name a few. They are very different from in both the art style but more importantly the way they're written. I really like them so why do Manga fans pick on American comics so much?

PS: American Splendor is the most brilliant comic I’ve read from any country.