Why do so many fans of Japanese manga insult American comics?

I’ve been reading Japanese manga my entire life. It has not been until very recently that I started reading any American comics (pretty much all of them from my boyfriend’s collection). So far, I'm highly enjoying the comics he's been giving me. Anyway, I’ve noticed on this site in particular, a lot of manga fans insult American comics. A lot of these claims are not true. One of the strangest claims is that American comics have no diversity. I keep hearing that there is no variety in western comics and that they are all about superheroes. Oddly enough, I still haven't read any superhero comics yet (I still have to read Watchmen). This is simply not true. I've been reading comics like American Splendor, Ghost World, Road to Perdition, and Maus: A Survivor's Tale to name a few. They are very different from in both the art style but more importantly the way they're written. I really like them so why do Manga fans pick on American comics so much?

PS: American Splendor is the most brilliant comic I’ve read from any country.

Favorite Answer

ok i have been on this site for sometime now and i have noticed this too and it's because of stupid questions like Japanese Manga vs American Comics which will let every fan say their opinion and since the majority of the users in the C&A section are manga readers you would expect what the answers will be like .

also most of the time Die hard American comics fans read little to no manga and same goes for manga readers so when the term comics is represented , their mind immediately goes to the superhero comics and the fact that their is way more stupid questions like who would win Goku vs Superman , just increase the hate for superheroes aka American comics .

ofcourse any person in their right mind would come to the simple conclusion that this is not true because like you said there is a lot of not only good but Great comics out there , any easy example would be watchmen , and really it's because of t.v shows and movies that people confuse all American Comics with just super hero comics ( like in the Big Bang Theory , all the actors are identified as geeks who only read super hero comics , Eg : how they only talk about people like superman , Wonder Woman and others )

• zak r

I never noticed it, but I tend to stay away from such Manga vs. Comic Book questions. As for the diversity I assume that they as the where growing up or heard about is Super Hero Comic Books and to be fair a large majority of Western Comic Books are about super heroes. There are fewer ones that do not go into the super hero mode and even then they are less known than the big guns in Western Comics like Superman and Avengers. It is sad that they do not read some of those that are good. Mainly it is hard to find some of those due to the overwhelming amount of Western Comics on Super Heroes.

Now I do like manga better and that is just me and my reasons. One thing I like better in Manga is that it does come to an end even if it takes a while most western comics do not end and if the artist stops drawing them for some reason like retiring or moving on a new artist most likely picks it up and the drawing changes slightly and maybe even the story. I have more reasons but they are mine only.

• L

Well, to be fair about their claims that "All Western comics are about superheroes" is due to the fact they've never tried western comics, and the best-known ones are all about heroes of some sort. I personally like manga a lot more than most western comics, because I usually prefer the stories and characters, but some Western ones are really good. Most of the people on this site, and many other sites prefer manga, since these days manga is more popular, and thus more people would come onto the Comics & Animation sections preferring to talk about manga, over the things they don't like.

To put it simply, they either don't like Western comics, they never gave them a chance, or they don't like Western comics, and claim that they're all about superheroes because they can't think of anything else to complain about.

I don't understand those people because they're usually ones who have not read much comics. Those type of people usually just read manga online, and only read fews comics in public by what they saw. But it would be nice if some people would just read try different comics from any country that is entertaining rather than thinking one is completely better than another just because it's from a specific country.

Hey don't worry, those die hard Japanese manga fanatics are shallow.

They are too self absorb to even explore other forms of comics and be more diverse in their love of comic books.

I personally like reading Batman comics and especially Astrix XDD

Astrix is one of my fav comics out there so I really have no complaint, but to understand where you are going on with your argument :)

By the way, I love reading manga too :D

• Miguel

I actually spend an hour or 2 a day in this comic section, and the only hate I ever see is from comic fans toward manga fans. Dont really see why theres hate though. we all the same.

I guess perhaps they think anime and manga characters are more classy and elegant. And.they just there's more personality in anime and manga characters! While sometimes American comics characters tend to be more about muscles and looks I guess!

Because people are stupid. Once they think that what they are doing is cool they automatically criticize any and everything else without knowing anything about it. People always try to put themselves and others into categories. Some people just need to realize that not everyone likes/does the same things and just because others do it differently does not make them weird. Just an individual.

Source(s): I'm Pissed

You could say the same thing about American comic fans insulting Japanese manga.

Everyone has a reason, so I don't think there's a direct answer...

It is more of an arrogance than anything else. Manga is just a different approach to things. Perhaps they are looking at the content and mangas are willing to look at things differently (like Death Note). But it is more cultural than any real artistic differences