Do you know the title of this old movie?

It's from the late 1950s I think, it's about a young guy who returns to his home town with an older, down and out actress as her flunky or something; he wants to older actress to fund some project, I think. He was run out of his home town for some mishap with his well off girlfriend but they're still interested in each other. In the end, the old actress gets a big break and leaves him, a bunch of guys from town try to attack the young guy for whatever he did to the girl, but his sweet heart helps him. I saw it on TCM and I can't for the life of me remember anything about who directed or starred in it. Please help!

Favorite Answer

Sweet Bird of Youth (1964)

starring Paul Newman, Shirley Knight, Geraldine Page

IMDb synopsis:

Self-professed to be from the wrong side of the tracks from St. Cloud, Florida, Chance Wayne loves Heavenly Finley, the daughter of wealthy 'Boss' Thomas J. Finley, a corrupt and ruthless politician who rules the town. Thomas does whatever he needs to to break the two up, and manages to run Chance out of town. An aspiring actor, Chance rolls back into St. Cloud with temperamental and drunken Alexandra Del Lago, a once great movie actress whose star has since faded. Picking her up at a party, Chance sees Alexandra as his professional meal ticket. Chance is back in St. Cloud to try and get back together with Heavenly, who still loves Chance but will not cross her powerful father if only to save Chance. Boss wants to run Chance out of town again, but it will be a little more difficult this time if only because of the notoriety of Miss Del Lago. The fortunes of all involved may hinge on some secret information concerning Chance and Heavenly.

EDIT: Richard Brooks wrote the screenplay from Tennessee Williams' play and directed.