ShadowPr0 asked in PetsReptiles · 9 years ago

Can my red eared slider turtles eat earthworms?

im wondering if my red eared slider turtles can eat earth worms. please answer the following questions. 1. Is it safe? 2. if the worm had dirt(u know how worms live in dirt) would the turtle get sick? 3. does the worm have to be small, and if yes, can i cut my long worm in pieces? Thanks for the help! Pce for now

• Sandy
    Favorite Answer

Worms make great feeders, but you always want to feed CB (Captive Bred) feeders over WC (wild Caught). With WC feeders you don't know where they've been, they could have come into contact with all sorts of chemicals, fertilizers, herbicides, pesticides, and they could have parasites.

So instead of picking them out of the ground, contact a worm farmer that sells composting worms like Red Wrigglers (small worms) and European Nightcrawlers (larger worms).

Both of these species can be kept indoors at room temperature, they will eat all sorts of paper, cardboard, bread, fruits, veggies, egg shells, and coffee grounds (No animal products like meat, fish, cheese, dairy, sauce, fat, salt).

You will be doing something green for the environment, you will be making your own food source for your pet, and the worms will produce the best natural compost available.

Source(s): I got my worms from Cathy's Crawlie Composters (Canadian). http://www.cathyscomposters.com/products.htm

Well i feed my 5 inch baby res earthworms after i wash the dirt on them away.I only feed him 2 a week for occasional treats but normally you shouldnt feed turtles earthworms because earthworms can and might carry a small parasitic egg on it.Im not sure if your should feed them earthworms is safe but my 5 inch baby res hasnt had a problem eating earthworms(yet)

This Site Might Help You.

RE:

im wondering if my red eared slider turtles can eat earth worms. please answer the following questions. 1. Is it safe? 2. if the worm had dirt(u know how worms live in dirt) would the turtle get sick? 3. does the worm have to be small, and if yes, can i cut my long worm in pieces? Thanks for the...

Source(s): red eared slider turtles eat earthworms: https://biturl.im/faK2H

Yes, I have 2 of those kind of turtles as well and my sons like to feed our turtles random things. Just recently my turtles had a snack of a piece of bread and mixed veggies that the boys wouldn't eat. In the past I have fed my turtles potatoes, carrots, lettuce, tortilla chips, grapes, animal crackers, but they refuse to eat their feeder fish. They also eat a wide range of feeder pellets and freeze dried shrimp. (Also they eat the rocks off the bottom of their tank but I don't think that is very good for them.)

yes its safe, no a small amount of dirt wont hurt, no they dont have to be small, your turtles will take chunks out of the bigger ones and rip them to shreds and eat them.

Warning, they are really messy though! get ready to clean your tank soon after, it always messed with my water quality.

Good luck!

Source(s): Owned many RES.

ok 1. yes 2. no 3. no and no dont cut it cause then they dont eat it. and yea they like them but they like goldfish a LOT so do that

also when you say Pce for now you sound retarded...