Why listen to sad music?

Ive learned that during a heartbreak, breakup..etc. that sad music doesnt make me feel any better- it just makes me feel sorry for myself and cry... at the thoughts rush back to my head yet i continue to listen to it...

Favorite Answer

I think it's because the sad music reassures you that it's ok to be upset and to hurt. It's kind of like an encouragement, that you're not the only person to have felt this pain. Lyrics of the song speak to you aswell sometimes matching your exact situation.

They say that music can alter your mood and connect with how you feel which would probably explain why we listen to sad music when we are sad and happy music when we are happy.

When I listen to sad music it's generally because the music speaks for me and how I feel, something we find hard to do when we are upset.

why is it that you dont understand your own actions? But anyway, some people somewhat likes to cry and feel sorry for themselves and purposely try to feel even sadder. If you really dont want to be sad, then you simply shouldnt listen to that kinda music. Ans try to control your emotions or in other words: get a grip

i think when you have a breakup and heart ache whatever you call it then you have to have a sad time for a few days or week but it's just to remind you how much that person meant but that you have to move on. It's not just sad songs i watch films and haf way through your thinking god this reminds me of .... haha just a human reaction i think x

Source(s): sitting listing to sad songs just now :L

Sometimes it forces you to confront those feelings. Some like to just take the time and confront it all head on, as opposed to trying to forget. Not saying that one approach is better than another, but I think that's the logic there.

Well I dunno but I always usually listen to sad music like heavy in your arms and the day I left the womb... it just fits me... also I write poetry that would make a sad song it helps me get out my emotions and express myself

It's because you feel that someone understands you. Yes it makes you cry, but then you don't need to hold in the tears anymore. You'll cry your eyes dry :P

I listen to sad music also, It's comforting to me.. I think its becos We want to feel sorry for ourselves.

Source(s): Personal expierences

Anything that troubles you, run into its heart!! Put it on, turn the volume all the way up, and get it out of your system, whatever hurts you so.

we just try to bring out our emmotions somehow..and sad music helps us in it...its very natural..our brain works like a computer and try to debug it...that all..

so, enjoy this pahse as well...but try to cherish it...n just cheer up....

• Wilken

Only if I am in the mood, Mad world for example.