What do you do if your computer won`t close down?

It`s sorted nowbut for the future I`d like to know... I logged off and then pressed shut down. the shutting down page came on and the the little thing was going round showing it was busy. I thought it ,may be doing up dates so left it. rather than putting lid down. ages later it was still doing the same so I put... show more It`s sorted nowbut for the future I`d like to know... I logged off and then pressed shut down. the shutting down page came on and the the little thing was going round showing it was busy. I thought it ,may be doing up dates so left it. rather than putting lid down. ages later it was still doing the same so I put lid down. It just wouldn`t go off. hours later I found it still on so I took the plug out. I thought it must be broken this morning it came on as usual.
Update: thanks everyone for help.. Dunbar now I know what hibernate state is for I had wondered