Zeno B asked in SportsBasketball · 9 years ago

is josh smith a better SF or PF?

i know he can play both forward positions, but i think the only reason he starts at PF is because the hawks like to play small-ball.

Favorite Answer

Offensively - He's better PF, slower guys are sticking him

Defensively - He's better SF, guys are usually smaller than him but he's quick and makes it harder for SF to operate.

Overall I think he's better PF, because he can still guard bigger guys and his offense increase, there are very few guys he has to worry about.

Nowitzki

Gasol

KG

Duncan

Lamarcus Aldridge

are the only guys he has to worry about.

Good question, I've been planning to ask this. I personally think he is better as a PF. Smith isn't fast enough for the SF position. His size and height also fits for a PF. Smith is also a phenomenal high-flying dunker, and on the defensive end he collects shot blocks. That trait sounds more of what a PF does.

PF/C that's the spot where Josh Smith shines, he's a beast in the paint(and he plays the Center spot more than Horford actually, it's about 65-35 for Smoove), at SF he's good, but not consistent enough to really be great.

I think he is more of a power forward even though he is a little smaller than most. The reason i believe this is because he is better in the post than jump shots and he is built more like a power forward. And you also can't really compare him to a player like Kevin Durant who played the small forward position because their playing types are way different. Well thats my thought on it.

PF would be better for him, this guy blocks shots like crazy but he needs to be stronger to defend other PF much bigger than him

He is too slow to play on the perimeter full time.