Alabama immigration law and Military Hispanic Children.?

I am in the US ARMY on orders to move to Alabama as well as many other Military Hispanic Soldiers and families. Can someone please shed some light on the new Alabama law and the Military Hispanic families attending schools in Alabama? We are from Puerto Rico, does the law applies to us as well? Will my children be safe attending the local schools without been harassed? My wife does not speak English well. Will she be ok? These are a few of many questions that Soldiers and family members have. Thank you for your support.

RETUSAF very un-professional for a retired USAF, I wonder if that is what they teach at the NCO Academy, "SET THE STANDARD AND LEAD FROM THE FRONT TROOP" No I am not stupid as you stated. DoD schools are not available at the base I am going to. And yes we are US citizens, the problem is that we are Hispanics and the word on the streets of Alabama is that Hispanics are not welcome there AGAIN that’s the word that is spreading’s across the Nation and all military installations. JUST GOOGLE IT “AIRMAN”

I have deployed all over the world defending our Great Nation taking care of my Soldiers, Officers, family members and our way of life and I am not a shame of myself nor I am a shame of putting on the uniform and “STAND MY POST”. I am however stating the facts of what is like to be treated like an illegal immigrant everywhere I go in the civilian sector. Even on base I get ask where is my “GREEN CARD” AND I DON’T EVEN KNOW WHAT THE CARD LOOKS LIKE. I have been threatening to be deported back to Mexico and I am not even from there. That is just the TIP of the iceberg of my daily life.

Favorite Answer

The law applies to everyone. However there are no penalties for someone who is not here illegally - so you have nothing to worry about on the legal side.

The truly unfortunate thing is that the law will likely lead to a lot of racial profiling. So you unfortunately will likely be on the negative side of that based solely on your race even though you are completely legal. Also be aware that few people seem to understand the relationship between Puerto Rico and the US so most people will incorrectly assume you are not a US citizen.

The AZ law is NOT the same as the federal law. It creates a new legal standard for police to stop and interrogate citizens. For more than a century the standard has been "reasonable cause to believe". Only in Arizona is the standard lowered to something called "reasonable suspicion." One problem is that nobody really knows what that means. Is it reasonable to suspect someone just because they're Hispanic? I hope not. If that's what it means then some other law can be written to allow the police to hassle blue eyed people, or black skinned people or those with buzz haircuts, or those with tattoos or those who wear camo. It doesn't have to apply only to immigration. There is a realistic fear that the police have now been granted an undefined and broad power.

You will be fine as long as you carry a valid Alabama driver’s license or non driver i.d, passport or any United States government issued identification document bearing a photograph, (i.e. military i.d.) anything that u had to prove legal status to get and you will have to prove legal status to get your driver's license. The police can ask for your papers if they suspect you are here illegally. "Suspect" I'm guessing to mean if you look Mexican. If you dont have your papers you can be arrested and held without bond. You will be asked for your citizenship documents when enroll your kids in school. But they should be safe and not harassed as there is a large population of Hispanics in the local schools however several districts reported a sudden exodus of children of Hispanic parents after the law was passed. Bottom line keep your papers on u at all times and dont drive with your windows rolled down listening to mariachi music. Thank You for your service to our country!

Source(s): Alabama Immigration Law, HB 56
  • J J

There is no discrimination against legal immigration. The law only says that if someone if being investigated for a crime, and there is reason to think they are illegal then they can be asked to prove they have a right to be in the country. You have no reason to worry. Your wife will have legit paperwork right?

Even illegals should leave their kids in school, they won't be investigated. Its just to get an idea as to how bad the infestation is.

• It appears you have been the victim of scare tactics by racist Hispanics looking to snowball people into thinking the Alabama law will target legal citizens so these said Hispanics can keep on crapping on our immigration laws. The chances of you being the victim of racial profiling are next to none and anyone that claims otherwise is severely misinformed or just plain lying.

• I'm disgusted that any US Army member would play the race card like you have. You should be ashamed of yourself for believe such lies such as racial profiling or playing the race card. We can assume that these so called "words on the street" are coming from racist Hispanics whom hate the Alabama law because they are illegal or have family that are illegal. It's ridiculous that the Hispanic community has to spread such hate and lies all so their fellow Hispanics can keep on breaking immigration laws.

• Jan

The law is aimed at illegal aliens, not Hispanics.

You are a citizen as is your family, you have nothing to worry about.

You can't do this stupid. Are you a US citizen? I think you are so what's your problem? Your children should be US citizens too. The law applies to everyone it's that illegal aliens have no citizenship papers. Besides wouldn't your kids go to school on base?

Please, don't make this a racism thing, that is just a ploy too hide the real issue. Everybody knows in America, just scream racism and you'll get your way. These illegals effect you like everybody else in this country. They are burning your tax dollars too, taking advantage of this country and it's citizens. My God, they don't even show any gratitude or respect! You are a citizen, you will be fine, and I think you know that....

yes,only the illegal aliens need to worry.