appealing back child support?

My husband was just ordered to pay back child support, in addition to current amount (it's quite a lot of money, but at least he has a decent job now. My problem is they awarded ex-girlfriend over 9K in back support, but he only made like 4K over those two years combined... He never showed them his tax returns/they never asked either (at the hearing). Can we appeal this? I tried contacting a lawyer, but due to obvious circumstances mentioned above, I can't afford. Any help would be greatly appreciated. We have about 8 days left before 15 day period stated in the papers (to appeal) is over. Thanks!!


He went to the hearing couple weeks ago. They based the amount at the minimum wage 40 hrs a week for both current and past/back support. Florida goes back 24 months.

5 Answers

  • Favorite Answer

    What did they base the child support on if they did not ask for two years of financial records. Did he even respond to the filing? Without more details, there is not way to answer this as it does not follow the normal means for establishing child support in the first place.


    Federal Child Support Enforcement Handbook for Non-Custodial Parents


    To learn a father's rights, join Dads House Educational Center in Yahoo Groups. It's free to join and access all materials. You also associate with other fathers going through, and have already gone through, the same issues. We have an Educational Manual that teaches everything that needs to be known in addressing your legal issues. Mention your question here when asked why you want to join, as well as your state?


    2nd Wife Club in Yahoo Groups, for those brave enough to take on a man with "baggage".


    For 22 years, I have volunteered my time working with divorced/single fathers dealing in family law issues, such as child support, teaching them about what the states are not telling support obligors.


  • ?
    Lv 4
    10 years ago

    File to appeal it and be prepared to show proof of how much your husband made. That said, he could have and should have filed for a change in the amount of support when he wasn't making as much money when the amount of the support was ordered. Good luck.

  • 10 years ago

    Contact the court and ask to speak to a family law facilitator

  • Anonymous
    10 years ago

    Yes i would appeal it and show them that he never made that much at the time. me and my ex just went through something similar. it kinda sounds like all she wants is more money now that he has a better job. its deffiantly worth trying. good luck

  • How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 10 years ago

    If they stated that you can appeal then yes you can appeal

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.