Wanting to apply to US Naval Academy?

I am a female, 17 year old Senior at a Private Christian high school, wanting to apply to the United States Naval Academy, however; I am in doubt.

I currently hold my Pilot’s License, am involved in aviation clubs and non-profit organizations. Aviation is my life and I am very interested in going into the Navy, regardless of whether or not I get into the Naval Academy. Here’s the thing, I have a B average in school, an average SAT score (so far), and I gave up sports for flying, therefore I do not play any seasonal sports. I am extremely fit, so there is no problem with the Physical Testing. I am just wondering if there is a chance of me getting in.. My boss at my flight school is an ex Naval Fighter Pilot who flew in Vietnam and an ex Boeing 747 Captain, and therefore he can assist me with the application process.

I have a huge passion for the military, and would love to attend the Academy. I am smart, and have proven to be determined through obtaining my Pilot’s License that I worked hard for, and it also shows how I am physically fit along with my medical certification. I display leadership through being President of my school’s French Club, and I received 50 volunteer hours over the summer as a Teacher’s Assistant at my local Air and Space Museum. I have a great resume; I just don’t know if I make the cut because of my average grades. Something has just been tugging on my heart to apply.

What’s your opinion? Thank you; your opinion is greatly appreciated.

• Tom
    Favorite Answer

To be honest, the chances of being appointed to the Naval Academy with a B average and average SAT scores as a candidate not being recruited for athletics or other academy goals are probably not the best. If the Naval Academy is your dream then by all means apply but have a back up plan. If not appointed, it establishes a desire for an appointment from fall of Senior year in high school. If not appointed, apply again in the Spring of senior year and go on to college and enroll in Nrotc/Rotc/Afrotc if available and take the same courses as a first year academy Mid- Calculus, Chemistry, Freshman Composition, US History as recommended on page 20 of Chapter 2 of the Usna Catalog . Participate in sports at some level-varsity, club, intramural. Work at getting Sat or Act scores to a competitive range.

There are service academy prep programs at the military junior colleges:

http://www.nmmi.edu/prep/selfprep.htm

I noticed that you are located in California. Unless your GPA is a B average around a 3.5 wieghted, that will not gain admission to any UC that offers Nrotc and probably only Merced and Riverside with Santa Cruz an outside chance. You can check the stats for your school in the "School Reports" at the following link:

http://statfinder.ucop.edu/

If you are looking for a military academy environment and Nrotc, then you might want to consider the California Maritime Academy. Your academic credentials will gain admission and Nrotc is available at Berkeley. There is a limited selection of majors. Only 900 Cadets in all four years, so, very small classes.

http://www.csum.edu/web/admissions/military-option...

Good description of Nrotc by reading the FAQ on the website of the original Nrotc Battalion founded by Fleet Admiral Chester W Nimitz:

http://navyrotc.berkeley.edu/faq.shtml

As far as the federal service academies, your best chance by far is at Usmma. Usmma Mids can direct commission to any service branch. Usmma has an extremely limited selection of majors. You would probably also be admitted to Norwich and The Citadel, both are Senior Military Colleges.

The selection process is nearly identical at West Point, the Air Force Academy, and the Naval Academy, so, whatever is stated on one service academy website or in its catalog with regard to admissions, course selection etc generally holds for the others. If you read the following answer and open the links it should help to explain the selection process and the path to an appointment including Loa's(essentially early admits), Nomination and Appointments.

http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index;_ylt=Akhc0...

The Air Force Academy website offers outstanding advice to students prepping for a service academy, rotc scholarship or any highly selective university. Open all links to the left of the dialog box. Be sure to open the "Leadership Preparation" link and read it carefully."

http://www.academyadmissions.com/#Page/Preparation

The Sat Math section tests Algebra 1 and 2 and Geometry. The Act Math section tests Algebra 1 and 2, Geometry and Trigonometry. Helpful to take an Act that offers TIR.

http://www.actstudent.org/scores/release.html

For colleges that require them, schedule Sat Subject tests to coincide with the AP or Final Exam in the class. An extracurricular reading program, looking up unknown words in a dictionary will help with Cr scores, even as little as twenty minutes a day.

http://reading.berkeley.edu/

The Marines offer an Aviation guarantee to Plc Officer Candidates and Nrotc Mo Mids. Scroll down to Plc Aviation at the link:

http://www.dcmarineofficer.com/platoonleadersclass...

http://officer.marines.com/marine/making_marine_of...

Marines are 55% rotary, 45% fixed wing; Navy, 75% fixed wing, 25% rotary; Air Force, 99% fixed wing; Army, 99% rotary. All Marine Officer commissioning programs require a 1s class Marine PFT, 225 minimum. Most OSO will not forward an application to a Selection Board with less than a 240 PFT. A 280+ PFT is considered to be competitive for the Nrotc Marine Option Scholarship. A student can apply for the Nrotc 4 year high school scholarships as long as he has less than 30 semester units at time of application and is not already in the Nrotc College program. Since 2009, there have been very few College Program Scholarships, as most were transferred to the Scholarship Program. It is possible to take the Nrotc classes without formally enrolling in the College Program and to pursue an Nrotc high school scholarship.

The military considers that the prime goal should be to serve as an officer regardless of service branch or commissioning source. Applying to more than one commissioning program tends to strengthen each application.

Good Luck!

Hi, I'm Steve Miller, and I am a military historian and military career mentor and the three high schools in my area here in Calif. I have three daughter and a son between 16 and 20.

Your best bet for any type of academy is for you to IMMEDIATELY reach out to your local member of the U.S. Congress, as well as each of your state's two senators. None of the academies take new admissions on a direct application basis. You have to be "appointed" to an academy, and the most common path is thru your Congressional rep or the two senators. Each of them is given an annual allotment of appointments they can use in their district (or statewide if its a senator). Each of them has a certain number of appointments they can give to USAF academy, Naval Academy, West Point and the U.S. Coast Guard Academy.

Most Congress reps and senators have information packets their local offices have, and that's the best place to start. Because they have about 10 times more kids wanting an appointment versus the slots they have to give, they will hand out info packets that tells you what they want from you in order to be the 1 person in 10 who will the appointment. Each academy has their own admission policies, but because the process is so competitive, the Congress reps and senators often will make up their own admission requirements that go beyond the basic entrance rules set by law. They have to do this, or it becomes an impossible task to figure out which youngster deserves the appointment more than the next kid.

So, step 1, call your rep, and also call both senators and get their info packets on what they want from you to justify you getting their appointment.

step 2, go to each of the academy websites and and down load or request whatever they have about admission rqmts.

step 3, there are books in the library and you can buy them online at Amazon or Barnes & Noble that are basically an academy "how to" cram guide to tell you all the things you have to do, including little tips, and ideas to get you on the top of the list. These kind of books, it's kind of like those yellow books you see, "Getting a West Point appointment for dummies." Those books will also explain the other appointment options available, like if your parents or grandparents went to an academy, or you have a relative who is a medal of honor recipient.

The cram books will also tell you about the various private military academies, like the Virginia Military Institute, The Citadel in South Carolina or Norwich University in Connecticut. There also quite a few public universites that although they are not academies, their ROTC program is so strong that it's very similar to an academy. For example, Texas A & M University is like that.

I hope this helps. I also have some written materials I've prepared that kind of helps a young person sort through some of these military career decisions - the real diff between an officer or enlisted, which career fields are really hot right now, explains wht it takes to get into flight training and so forth. I can e-mail the materials to you.

Feel free to contact me anytime and I'd be glad to help. By the way, I was in the Air Force and flew combat reconnaissance during latter half of the Vietnam War.

Btw, I'm in the middle of writing another historical book and was doing research on the internet earlier today, and one of the Google searches I was doing on "strategic reconnaissance" had a hit in Yahoo Answers, which I had never been on until today. You are welcome to talk to any of my teenagers and you can tell your parents I'd be happy to chat with them, so they don't freak out about some guy giving you military advice over the internet.

Best Regards;

Steve Miller

Simi Valley, CA

805-210-4735

millermgmtsys@yahoo.com

• Regina

Although it will seem shocking at first, you get used to it. You'll learn to value the time off more than some civilian college. The kids who go to party schools end up wasting most of their time anyway. The first summer is hard; it's not supposed to be easy, and you and your class all go through it together. As the years go by, you get more and more privileges. You are given leave more and more often as you progress, but there's not much to do in Annapolis. All of the academies are in small towns except for usmma in NYC. Anyway, if you want to go, don't let your worries hold you back.

If you intend to learn how to get at betting activities then this really is your place https://tr.im/tpYxM with Zcodes System.

Zcodes System is exactly about teaching you how becoming a sound principled sports investor and learning from a team of proven pickers who surround you. The theory goes that should you encompass yourself with the good power of earning participants in the activities betting industry then you also will also emerge at the top yourself.

Zcodes System can be treated as a mastermind for sports lovers to push brains and increase to profitability together.

A "B" average while not great does not automatically spell doom. I will strongly suggest going to the link:

www.usna.edu/admissions and follow the step by step directions for applying to USNA. Secondly, contact the Candidate Guidance Office and find out who is the area coordinator for your area and have them get in touch with the Blue and Gold Officer (BGO) for your area who can walk you through this.

Source(s): USNA BGO

If you wish to decide to try new things and win income with betting activities then Zcodes from here https://tr.im/QuPQH may assist you to.

What's interesting in regards to the experts on Zcodes is that a lot of are only standard men who were customers of one other methods on the website just before establishing their particular methods from their new winning perspective and the info analysis. Then they reveal their accomplishments and provide back again to the community that produced them.

Zcodes will really allow you to get your bets.