Eric asked in PetsCats · 8 years ago

My cat keeps pooping outside the litter box?

Before you ask...

Litter box is clean

litter has not changed

litter box has not changed

food has not changed

He's in good health

he's been doing it for a few months now. He now seems to like to poop RIGHT at the very edge of the litter box. Sometimes it makes it in sometimes it doesn't. 99% of the time, it doesn't. Most of the time he pee's outside of the box also. I'm at my whits end with him. We have another cat who is perfect and I can't take much more of this. Any suggestions would truly be helpful.

I had a cat that would do that... Continue to lead him into the litter box, or when he appears to be going potty outside, quickly pick him up and put him inside the box. Gross, but it's a good thing to do. Days when he DOES pee or poo inside the litter box, give him a treat and positive attention so that he understands that going potty inside the box is a good thing.

But there's also the possibility that he may not be, you know, right in the head? My cat was... mentally slow, let's say. And didn't really know how to do a lot. Is that also a possibility?

The technique I use is, put your cat in the box.. when your cat walks away, pick him up and put him back until he uses it. Just keep doing it. It probably won't stress him, it'll just reassure him that he needs to use the box. It might take a while.. depends on which cat it is. But it'll work.

maybe try a different litter? sometimes they start to dislike certain ones put food in a separate area if it's not already

Is he standing in the box and just missing?

If so, get a hood for it so it will hopefully stay inside.

My cat started doing that, and we took her to the vet, turned out she had a urinary tract infection and couldn't make it in time, and once treated, she was fine.

You need to talk to him about it and let him know that you are not pleased with his behavior.