What can the federal government (or Obama) do to Alabama regarding illegal immigration law?

Haven't paid much attention and simply have heard that there is real tough law in Alabama directed at illegal immigration, but yesterday also heard something to the fact that Obama or the federal government in general can do something so Alabama stops this. What can Obama or anyone else do? And till what extent do states have their own rights to go against something which is harming them deeply?

Favorite Answer

Nothing I hope. Why shouldn't they do what they are doing? Why shouldn't they have to produce Social Security cards and birth certificates when they register their children for school----I did! Why should they get special treatment? It's unbelievable how you people want to simply give this country away when even your grandparents or great grandparents struggled to get here but they studied to become citizens! It's an insult to their memories!

If state law interfers with federal law, the federal government files an injunction based on the Supremacy Clause. There is no way to overrule this, so all this talk is just a way of getting attention until the Supreme Court one day has this on the table. Obama now asked the Supreme Court to do this. In the end, we know that the Supreme Court has no other option than to recognize that immigration law is the domaine of the federal government so eventually it will all go back to normal.

All smoke an mirrors for political gains.

Source(s): I'm a natural-born German and Swedish citizen and naturalized U.S. citizen. I have an educational background in philosophy and political science and work as a corporate attorney in California. Since I’m an immigrant myself, I’m interested in immigration law in general and issues concerning multiple citizenships in particular.

They could sue, and hopefully they would lose. I had to provide all of the things these people are b!#@tching about to get my children in school. They should be able to crack down on them. I think the bill does not go far enough, but it's a start. The rest of the states should follow suit.

The Feds can (and will) simply withhold future Federal-tax-funded aid to the State, as happened to Mississippi during the Gulf Oil spill debacle...Little Bobbie Jindhal mouthed-off on National TV about "States' rights" and self-sufficiency in 2010 after Obama was elected, and then (surprise, surprise!) found himself whining that the Federal government were not doing enough fast enough to help him with his local disaster...can you say "hypocrite"?

The same thing is currently happening in Virginia, where Eric Cantor all but DEMANDED that any Federal Aid paid out should be offset by cuts elsewhere in the budget...then Virginia had an earthquake centered in Cantor's own 'neighborhood' and he's whining like a banshee that the Feds aren't giving him "aid" fast enough!

Republicans are often heard to quote "ye shall reap what ye sow", but apparently they do not actually understand what it means!

It will be interesting to see the consequences of the "illegal flight" out of Alabama...something similar happened in Georgia during the peach harvest this past Summer, and many (now very pissed-off) Republican farmers are 'in the hole' MILLIONS of dollars because there was no-one to harvest their crops, which just rotted in the orchards...LOL!

http://wonkette.com/448250/crops-rotting-in-georgi...

Source(s): It's ALMOST enough to shake my atheism!

Nothing. I find it hilarious to see the illegals scatter like chickens. Let them go live next door to the New Yorkers or Hollywood idiots.

Follow their lead and adopt a similar stance.

• Ed

My hope it that nothing can be done and that more states enact similar laws.

Hopefully nothing.