Promoted
Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Politics & GovernmentGovernment · 9 years ago

Is Antarctica being governed?

3 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    9 years ago

Yes, Antarctica is governed by a number of countries - Australia, France, Norway, United Kingdom etc. It is just that some countries such as USA, Russia, etc. refuse to acknowledge the claims made by these other countries. It is a farce as they expect the world to acknowledge their claims over other territory. I find it ironic that the USA and Russia are disputing possible claims each other is making in the Arctic circle, yet have the utter gall not to recognise the legitimate claims of other countries in Antarctica. I am a 100% supporter of the USA, but on this point they really piss me off.

Source(s): Countries Who Are Jealous And Regret That They Didn't Claim a Part of Antarctica When They Had The Chance For Dummies.
    • Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • Thalia
    Lv 7
    9 years ago

The region is covered by international treaties and neighbouring countries all have claims on it (e.g. Australia, New Zealand, Argentina and Chile which border it the north). Claims map-- http://images.nationmaster.com/images/motw/islands...

But there is no governance because it is not populated, except for a few isolated scientific stations.

• 9 years ago

I know people who reside in Antartica are just scientists and commentaries for national geographic lol and it cant be settled either way so it sounds stupid for it to be governed

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.