Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureReligion & Spirituality · 9 years ago

A world without a religion?

Personally if i were to become an atheists i wouldn't worry too much if i kill someone, steal from someone, etc. Because its not the government law alone that stops me from performing such acts, a huge portion actually comes from my religion that binds me from committing any sins and actually gives me a peace of mind. And while I admit that Judaism, Christianity, And Islam has been the cause of great suffering for many people over the years, I also believe that they has been the cause of great happiness for many people over the years. Does the good outweigh the bad? I am inclined to think yes. Personally, I’d rather take the good with the bad than take the bad alone, which is the atheist position as I see it.

So my question to you is, do you believe the world would be a better place with no religion?

• ?
    Favorite Answer

There is both unity and diversity among world religions. There are many areas in which religions agree and there are also serious theological, philosophical and practical differences among them. It is quite presumptuous to say that all these differences do not matter and everything eventually leads to the same end.

The Qur’an gives us a very clear guidance on the subject of unity and diversity among religions. Let me emphasize few points from the Qur’anic perspective:

1. According to the Qur’an, human beings are by nature religious. Allah instilled in them His awareness through their “primordial nature” (Al-Fitrah, Ar-Rum 30: 30). This primordial nature in human beings recognizes the Divine, truth and goodness. All human beings have a common religiousness, just as they have a common sense.

2. The story of the origin of human beings is related in the Qur’an at several places (Al-Baqarah 2: 30-39; Al-A`raf 7: 11-25; Al-Hijr 15: 26-44; Al-Israa’ 17: 61-65; Al-Kahf 18: 50; Taha 20: 115-123; Saad 38: 71-85). However, on each occasion some fresh points and new insights are introduced. The basic message of the story is that Allah honored the first parents of humanity and allowed them to stay in Paradise for some time. He told them to enjoy everything, to eat and drink all they wished to but not to approach a certain tree. However, Iblis, the devil who was their enemy, misled both of them causing them to soon depart from Paradise. Upon their expulsion from Paradise they were told to beware of the Devil and not to fall into his traps. They were also assured that Allah would send His guides and messengers among them to show them the path of truth and righteousness. If they followed Allah’s prophets and messengers they would return to Paradise wherein they had been originally placed, or else they would lose it forever and end up in the total perdition of Hell.

3. Thus, as promised, Allah raised messengers from time to time among all peoples. (There was not a community), says the Qur’an, (except that a warner came to them.) (Fatir 35: 24); (For every people there was a guide.)(Al-Ra`d 13: 7) Finally the last Prophet, Muhammad came, concluding this prophetic line and giving the complete and final message of Allah to all mankind (Saba’ 34: 28).

4. The Qur’an emphasizes that the messages of all the Prophets of Allah were identical as far as the fundamental beliefs are concerned (see Al-A`raf 7: 59-93; Al-Anbiyaa’ 21: 25; and As-Shu`araa’ 26: 1-191). However, they differed in some practical details in consideration of the vicissitudes of time and place (Al-Ma’idah 5: 48). The religion of all the Prophets and Messengers of Allah throughout history was one and the same - Islam- that is ‘submission to Allah’. Islam in this sense is not a new religion, it is rather the original religion of all mankind and Prophet Muhammad is not the founder of Islam but its final messenger.

5. Although human beings hail from one and same origin and were originally one community, they do have differences. Not all differences are bad. Some differences are created by Allah. The diversity introduced by Allah in the human situation consists of the variety of genders, colors and languages among human beings and the multiplicity of races and tribes. These diversities are considered natural and are called “Allah’s signs” (Ayat) in the Qur’an (Ar-Rum 30:20-22). They are indicative of Allah’s creative power and are good and healthy since they endow human life with richness and beauty. Allah wants human beings to derive benefit from this diversity and not to allow these diversities to generate unhealthy schisms and divisions among them on the basis of genders, colors, languages or racial and tribal origins.

6. In addition to these natural diversities, there are other differences that were introduced by human beings. These are the diversities of viewpoints among human beings. The Qur’an recognizes the individuality of human beings and of their groups and communities. Not all diversities in views and opinions are considered evil either. On the contrary, sometimes the difference of opinion might be a token of Allah’s mercy. However, the dissension and disputes that lead to divisions and sectarianism are denounced in the Qur’an: (Those who divided their religion and broke up into sects, you have no part in them in the least. Their affair is with Allah. He will, in the end, tell them the truth of all that they did.)(Al-An`am 6:159) Such divisions arose, the Qur’an points out, because of undue selfishness, transgression, aggression and mutual jealousy (Al-Baqarah 2: 213; Aal `Imran 3: 19).

It's true that with no religion people would generally think more of themselves than the others, so there would be more criminality, but religion can be a destructive weapon too! When people stop to think with their own mind, and base all their life on a book, it's no good for anyone. Especially when that books is interpreted differently and accomodated to our own preferences instead of what would be resonable good for peace. Just think about how many people die every day because of religion?? Religion can bring out the best part of yourself, when you understand how to live it. But when you kill for religion, when you keep out from your life people who doesn't believe in the same thing as you, when you ignore the world and everything is not wrote on that old book, without reasoning with your brain (kindly given to you by God himself) then you're the first bring misery in this world. I think both, atheists and religious people should open up their mind, accept other people beliefs, and also keep religion (or atheism) as something personal and private.. not something that you must impose to others. I believe in God, but honestly I don't like the church, as it's the opposite of the image of "modesty and poverty" praised by God and I don't like how it decides that gay marriage is bad, condoms are bad, and that donations to the catholic church is good because it's in order to help poor people (but then you see the Pope going on vacation wearing gold everywhere while poor people...remains poor!). What I'm saying is that people should think with their own mind what is good and what is bad, and should accept pacifically the fact that other people may not think the same as you. Both atheism and religion are important for the balance of the world.

Revelation states that the world's governments will 'give power' [ authorise] the beast and it will destroy religion...

and the " travelling merchants" [ big business] will still be in existence and mourn the loss...

Governments and big business still operating and NO religion....

But when they try and destroy the ONE religion that has been fully obedient to God...

(Zechariah 2:8) For this is what Jehovah of armies has said, ‘Following after [the] glory he has sent me to the nations that were despoiling YOU people; for he that is touching YOU is touching my eyeball.

(Hebrews 10:31) It is a fearful thing to fall into the hands of [the] living God.

The future of the world is already written...

(Psalm 37:29) The righteous themselves will possess the earth, And they will reside forever upon it.

Source(s): NWT

It wouldn't be enough. You need to redesign culture and change peoples value systems.

Not having children is the first step to ceasing poverty. By having children, you're giving your country a reason to go to war and restrict access to resources. A child dies every five seconds from starvation and curable diseases. That is the result of denying resources. There's never an exception. Having children is always selfish and inconsiderate.

Please adopt. Focus on looking after people who've already been born.

So you're admitting that without your religion, you would go around killing and stealing? Then we should steer clear of all people like you. I don't believe that religion alone stops us from committing "sins", as you put it. Rather it is basic humanity and the respect I have for another human being.

Well I remember my great grandma and she was born in the 1880s (I'm 54 now). She was born at a time when religion would have been far more involved in everyday life than it is now, even in the 1970s. She had some old values but never ever preached any religion to us, nor did my grandma or parents. She believed in god, and my grandparents but never went to church. It was enough they lived a good life, and we were brought up properly. Even though it was around at that time it wasn't down to religion but how you were brought up.

"Personally if i were to become an atheists i wouldn't worry too much if i kill someone, steal from someone, etc."

you have just admitted the mindset of all religious and other irrational people. life has no value to you.

ONLY rational individuals value life and morality. when religion ceases to exist, all individuals will finally have a chance at freedom.

• ?

My issue isn't that I'd hurt and destroy because I would get away with it, but that without love and beauty being eternal they are just a product of the universe, and so nothing is worth doing at all.

Those who are real Christians (who live as Jesus lived) committed no travesties.

The world would probably be worse without religion.

I'd certainly be way worse Jesus' example.

God bless.

• nish

islam....islam!!!!!! how islam look the history before 60 years was there any problem with islam.....now west has problem with islam..because its growing.....put the name they are terrorist...so attack middle east so they gets control over oil rich countrie

hitler killed 6 million jews ...he was christian...does that make christianity religion of terror?

learn some history first

I was in love with a Christian girl. Her parents and religion wouldn't allow our marriage. It's absurd. So my answer to you is, yes, I do believe that the world would be a better place with no religion.

Wow... you only do good things because you are scared of going to hell...

This is why atheists are good people... we are good because we want to be, not because we are forced to be.

I think the world would be so much better without religion... it just divides the planet!