what to cover a geodesic dome with?

I have a 19ft 6inches wide geodesic dome which we have been given for a charity garden project.Unfortunately it has about 30 triangular sheets of glass missing.I am hoping to replace its missing toughened glass with a much cheaper alternative or to recover the dome with something cheaper but long lasting.Any suggestions would be appreciated.

• Rondi
    Favorite Answer

Plexiglass will not work. It will quickly fail. Your best product will be Mylar. But it's not cheap.

Source(s): We have a vaulted skylight dome in a foyer to commercial space. We tried everything.....reinforced glass, tempered glass, plexiglass.....finally went with Mylar. It survived Hurricane Katrina. It's a great product.

There was quite a fad of dome building in the 70s. It tapered off after people figured out that domes always leak. The people who take care of Buckminster Fuller's dome home finally gave up and shingled it. If it rains in your area you will probably do the same.

As for replacing glass, you might be tempted to use Plexiglass, but that material moves a lot as the temperature changes. As I recall it was 2% or so, about 3 inches in a 12 foot piece. That is hard to deal with. That is one reason you see domes with inflatable vinyl windows. One clever fellow gathered up scrap window glass and cut pieces to make a free-form dome to fit the window opening, using silicon rtv to glue the edges together. I don't know how well it worked, but I think I would use leaded glass for such a project, not silicon rtv.

plexiglass (plastic)