Down to two names this time?

I'm writing a story, and the main character is a 16 year old girl who is quiet, introverted, smart, loves to read, but doesn't have any really close friends. Here are the two names:

Lila Ward

Esther Hayes

Update:

ok, third option: Lila Hayes

15 Answers

Relevance
  • 9 years ago
    Favorite Answer

Agree with Jessica, Lila Hayes sounds more like your character.

But if between the two, I like Lila Ward better.

• 9 years ago

Lila Ward

• Lila Ward

• 9 years ago

Esther Hayes!

Lila doesn't really suit the character, in my opinion. Lila sounds more like a popular rich girl.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Anonymous
    9 years ago

Esther Hayes

• Anonymous
    9 years ago

I really like Lila Ward

Source(s): Me :)
  • 9 years ago

Lila Ward...xxx

• Cali
    Lv 6
    9 years ago

Lila Ward .

• 9 years ago

Lila Hayes

Ward sounds a little funk

Esther sounds like a 50 yr old woman name

• 9 years ago

Consider Emily or Elspeth.

They are both suggestive of old fashioned, reserved and shy personalities.

As the story develops the added advantage to those names is that they can be changed in response to the characters development and relationships with other people.

For example; Emily could be Em (shyer), Emmy(affectionate and parental), Ems (sibling affection), M (mysterious and spooky), Milly (wild and fun loving, liberated from her introverted upbringing)

The advantage to you as an author is that it is possible for a reader to tell instantly what the other character is like depending on what name is used to address Emily.

It could even indicate that she has some kind of hidden life where she uses a specific name for a specific set of circumstances.

She may even have split personality syndrome and one day has to face the music when all of the characters somehow come together and realise that even though they all know her she is a different person to each of them.

Similarly for Elspeth. You are the creative one so can develop Elsie, Ellie, L, etc etc.

Single forenames are more dynamic than double forenames and can be played with more creatively.

I hope you make a lot of money from your story.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.