GAH asked in Home & GardenCleaning & Laundry · 9 years ago

clothers stink in the washer?

WE HAVE A BIG FAMILY AND HAVE TO USE 2 WASHERS.ONE IS THE NEW WATER SAVING,PRESSURIZING,H.E. DETERGENT USING WASHER.AND THE OTHER IS THE COMMON WASHER OF THE 90S.IF I LET CLOTHES SIT IN THE NEW ONE OVER NIGHT THEY WILL SMELL MOLDED WHEN THE OLDER ONE WONT.WHY IS THIS.I EVEN USE H.E. IN BOTH SOME TIMES SO I KNOW IT ISN'T THE DETERGENT,AT LEAST I DON'T THINK IT IS.

THANKS

Favorite Answer

Your washing machine's tub is dirty and moldy. Just put some bleach in where you put the detergent and do a wash, no clothes. The bleach will get rid of the mold and your machine should smell nice and fresh. I did it to mine and it smells great! You may have to do it twice and on a monthly basis considering how much you wash. AlsoTide makes a product that does the same thing. But bleach is cheaper.

• Livvi

There are special cleaners for the new machines -- it is sold in the detergent aisle of the grocery store. You need to use that first. for the moldy smelling clothes add a quart to 2 quarts plain white vinegar to the wash along with regular detergent. The vinegar smell will dissipate and you will be left with the nicest smelling clothes ever. I use vinegar on towels all of the time -- it is the best stuff.

• Anne J

I have seen and heard of this problem in the new style of washers alot. They even sell some type of cleaner for them to deodorize. Evidently, the design is bad and they don't drain well. I would never own one.

Try the old fashioned way. TWENTY MULE TEAM BORAX