Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureCultures & GroupsSenior Citizens · 9 years ago

What is funniest about the TV show CHIPS?

Looking at the old tv show, I find the boys' hairdos to be a scream. And, they all seemed to roll up a sweat sock and stick it down the front of their jockey shorts. If you are a student of CHIPS do you find either of these attributes amusing?

• ?
    Favorite Answer

How they managed to keep their uniforms cleaned and pressed all the time!

Back in the 1960s when I used to consume quite a lot of recreational drugs, I thought "Dragnet" was such an unbelievable farce that it was often laugh-out-loud funny. Especially the preposterous Jack Webb with his pickle face and ramrod posture and robot movements, telling everyone he wanted "Just the facts, ma'am. Just the facts."

But by the time "Dragnet" morphed into "Adam 12," the second-generation popular American cop-show, the emphasis had shifted from reactionary, moralistic trash to what in those days passed for "realism." Of course, "Adam 12" wasn't really any more in touch with reality than "Dragnet" was, but people who watch a lot of television are usually not very intelligent, and many young "Adam 12" viewers actually joined their local police departments because they believed in the sort of Barbie-and-Ken version of the world represented by Marty Milner and Kent McCord.

Then "Adam 12" morphed into "CHIPs," the late 1970s incarnation of all-American law-enforcement entertainment. But by this time, the hippies of the 1960s were beginning to actually run the world, and they (we) knew better than anyone that cops are certainly not heroes by any stretch of the imagination, and the best you can usually say about them is that they are clowns. And also, gay liberation was by that time in full swing. So it was natural that the all-American cop of that era would be represented by Erik Estrada's poncy "Ponch" Poncherello, with his hair-sprayed coiffure, beach-buddy body and padded crotch-basket.

But like many of my generational cohort, I was no longer paying much attention to TV at that time. And it was just as well, because eventually "CHIPs" morphed into "COPS,' the cop-entertainment show for the "reality TV" era, and the show that has become--so far, anyway--one of the the most immoral and detestable TV shows of any kind. Of all time. Bar none. And not funny at all.

One of the cheesiest shows ever, especially after Eric Estrada got control of it. After that the episodes were all about him. That is why Larry Wilcox left the show the last couple of seasons. I used to call it The Eric Estrada Show.

Source(s): I know both Larry Wilcox and his brother Randy. I got this from them.

The weekly multi-car piles ups done in slow-mo were pretty funny. I remember wondering who taught those Californians to drive?!

• ?

When the credits come and it says the THE END.

• They were funny especially when they try to joke with each other and then one of them would wreck their bike..=)

Ponch's uniform that was so tight it looked like it was spray painted on him.

• daisy

I never watched it because I just don't like Estrada.

• Kini

I never watched the show.

• Marcia

no use of Indians or Harley - Davidsons. they used " rice burners "