Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureReligion & Spirituality · 9 years ago

why did god need sacrifices in the first place?

i know he accepted them in ot, but did he sit in heaven and smell the sacrifice, like oooohhhhh gggoooddd thats good ****

11 Answers

Relevance
  • 9 years ago
    Favorite Answer

He never did. But He was preparing the world to recognize the Lamb of God, His own Son come down from heaven, who would take the sins of the world upon Himself, so mankind might be saved.

"You do not delight in sacrifice, or I would bring it;

you do not take pleasure in burnt offerings.

My sacrifice, O God, is a broken spirit;

a broken and contrite heart

you, God, will not despise. "

Psalm 51:16-17

http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=Hebrew...

• God commands, approves of, and delights in burnt offerings, as shown in Ex 29:36/ Lev 23:27/ Ex 29:18/ Lev 1:9. Unfortunately, He also disapproves of and has no pleasure in burnt offerings, as shown in Jer 7:22/ Jer 6:20/ Ps 50:13,4/ Is 1:13,11,12

Christians will say this is not contradictory, but it sure smells funny to me.

• Anonymous
    9 years ago

Anyone that believes God needed any sacrifice is completely unaware of the True God.

• 9 years ago

Going way back in time when man's perceptions were different he perceived only himself and what was not himself there were forces of nature he could not understand and he thought himself to be inferior to these forces, he called them gods and thought they were angry, wouldn't you if you were in a thunderstorm? So he thought to offer up maidens, children, animals to appease this anger. It is reflected in the Gospel of John, that God sends his own son to die as a blood sacrifice to appease his own anger. Please don't let this insanity reflect on the real God!

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Anonymous
    9 years ago

God doesn't need any thing. Sin being against God must be paid for, and a violent animal blood shedding is a temporary payment for what is required for sin. This is a temporary picture of what Jesus will do in the future for those who put their who faith and trust in him on the cross. After awhile God got tired of animal blood sacrifices, man had no regret or repentance for their sins with no faith in God. Who will pay for your sins ? Jesus or you forever ?

• Anonymous
    9 years ago

When I sacrifice the incense to my gods, it's a win-win scenario.

Source(s): They get the votive, and I get the scent. =^.^=
  • Anonymous
    9 years ago

Well yeah I sat in my epic chair, but surely you realize that since I am God, I don't actually say "Oh god". Lol

@foiled again: Hey man, don't get me started on the flood, I said I wouldn't do it again...we all make mistakes :'(

Source(s): Love me some sacrifice.
  • Anonymous
    9 years ago

Death gives God a b0ner. Same reason he destroyed everyone in a flood.

• Bob
    Lv 6
    9 years ago

humans needed sacrifices

they thought it would help their crops

there is no god

only in the mind of primitive people

• 9 years ago

Good question! There are many different types of contracts, agreements, or covenants. There are verbal, written, notarized, sealed and stamped.The strongest contract or covenant is a blood covenant. In ancient times, covenants were life commitments between two or more parties. Covenant participants would rather die than break a covenant. It possesses a strength to it, a seriousness to it: for protection, for resources, for assistance, for relationship. It's not a small matter when you enter into a blood covenant with somebody.

The Bible is a blood covenant book. It’s something that God has initiated with man to help us. There's a serious consequence when you won't enter into a blood covenant with one who's greater than you who wants to enter into a blood covenant with you. What is the consequence if you'll not enter into a blood covenant with God through the blood of Jesus Christ? Spiritual separation from God. Eternal seperation from God. It's not a small thing.

God had created man in his image, and had given spiritual authority and dominion over the earth to man, to Adam. Adam didn't have to go and beg the cows to come in. He had authority over them. He said come, they would come. God had authority and he'd given it to Adam. But Adam sinned. Now when he sinned what did he do? He gave away the spiritual authority God had given him. Adam was supposed to be submitting in obedience to God, but Adam became disobedient and he submitted himself unto Satan.

God gave him the authority and he gave it away. God told Adam not to eat of the Tree of Knowledge of Good and Evil. Adam disobeyed; he sinned. He rebelled. He submitted his will to Satan. That's why God does not have the right to take Satan and just throw him out of the earth. Many people say why doesn't God just put Satan in hell. He did not have the right. God has restricted himself. Someone will say, "Oh, God can do anything." No, he can't. God can't lie. Can God lie? Can God sin? God is a God of justice. God is a holy God. Because Adam sinned he gave his authority away legally. God had to find a legal way to bring justice back into the earth, to legally redeem back to Himself sinful man who had given away his authority to Satan.

That's why it was necessary for God to redeem man back legally. He had given free choice to Adam, and Adam, exercising that free choice, had given away his authority. God could not just step in and take it all back without trampling on man’s free choice — something that God himself gave Adam as a means to love him.

So God started a redemptive plan to bring salvation back to man legally. As a God of justice, he had no other option. When Adam and Eve sinned, God confronted them, and had to enforce the consequences of their choices, he set in motion a plan to redeem man at the same time. God had to send his son to the earth as the Second Adam to take back — legally — what the first Adam had given away. A man caused the fall — a man had to redeem mankind from the effects of that fall.

The primary purpose of the Son is to be our Savior. The work of salvation required many roles that only a human being could fulfill, including the roles of sacrifice, propitiation, substitute, kinsman-redeemer reconciler, mediator, advocate, high priest, second Adam, and example. These terms overlap in many ways, but each represents an important aspect of the work of salvation that, according to the plan of God, could only be done by a human being.

According to God's plan, the shedding of blood was necessary for the remission of man's sins.The blood of animals could not take away man's sin because animals are inferior to man. No other human could purchase redemption for someone else because all had sinned and so deserved the penalty of death for themselves.Only God was sinless, but He did not have flesh and blood. Therefore, God prepared a body for Himself, that He might live a sinless life in flesh and shed innocent blood to save mankind. He became flesh and blood so that He could through death defeat the devil and deliver mankind.

Jesus entered the heavenly tabernacle, went behind the veil into the most holy place, and there offered His own blood.Through His sacrifice and atonement, we have direct access to the throne of God. The Son is our high priest through whom we can boldly approach God. Through His humanity Jesus is the second Adam. He came to conquer and condemn sin in the flesh and to defeat death itself. He came as a man so that He could replace Adam as the representative of the human race. By so doing, He reversed all the consequences of Adam's fall for those who believe on Him. Everything that mankind lost because of Adam's sin, Jesus won it back as the second Adam, the new representative of the human race.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.