Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Education & ReferenceWords & Wordplay · 9 years ago

should i use a semicolon or period?

My struggles came from writing papers. Those problems included: not focusing enough on my topic and not organizing my ideas clearly.

6 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    9 years ago
    Favorite Answer

I'm not sure which bit you are asking about. You have a colon in the middle of the second sentence which is not needed at all. You can just write:

"Those problems included not focusing enough on my topic and not organizing my ideas clearly."

The first sentence would read better as:

"I struggled with writing papers."

Then because you have used "struggled" in the first sentence and "problems" in the second, I wouldn't say "those" problems (as you haven't mentioned problems). I would say:

"I struggled with writing papers. My problems included not focusing enough on my topic and not organizing my ideas clearly."

• 9 years ago

There is currently no semicolon in this and there does not need to be one. There is, however, a colon, and it is not needed. It should read:

"My struggles came from writing papers. Those problems included losing focus on the topic while writing and the unclear organization of my ideas."

You use a colon when you are making a list that is not in a sentence. For a list in a sentence, just use commas and write the sentence.

• 9 years ago

Neither.` I always found I had difficulty when writing papers. The problems I faced were not being focused enough on my topic and not organising my ideas clearly.`

• Neil
    Lv 7
    9 years ago

Semicolons NEVER come before a colon. They may come after as part of the list, but never before.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 9 years ago

use a period to end every thought. if you're linking 2 thoughts together, use a semicolon.

• Mamie
    Lv 7
    9 years ago

Use a period here.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.