Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Education & ReferenceWords & Wordplay · 9 years ago

should i use a semicolon or period?

My struggles came from writing papers. Those problems included: not focusing enough on my topic and not organizing my ideas clearly.

Favorite Answer

I'm not sure which bit you are asking about. You have a colon in the middle of the second sentence which is not needed at all. You can just write:

"Those problems included not focusing enough on my topic and not organizing my ideas clearly."

The first sentence would read better as:

"I struggled with writing papers."

Then because you have used "struggled" in the first sentence and "problems" in the second, I wouldn't say "those" problems (as you haven't mentioned problems). I would say:

"I struggled with writing papers. My problems included not focusing enough on my topic and not organizing my ideas clearly."

There is currently no semicolon in this and there does not need to be one. There is, however, a colon, and it is not needed. It should read:

"My struggles came from writing papers. Those problems included losing focus on the topic while writing and the unclear organization of my ideas."

You use a colon when you are making a list that is not in a sentence. For a list in a sentence, just use commas and write the sentence.

Neither.` I always found I had difficulty when writing papers. The problems I faced were not being focused enough on my topic and not organising my ideas clearly.`

• Neil

Semicolons NEVER come before a colon. They may come after as part of the list, but never before.

use a period to end every thought. if you're linking 2 thoughts together, use a semicolon.

• Mamie

Use a period here.