Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Science & MathematicsChemistry · 9 years ago

How can an element oxidize oxygen?

I was doing some random reading, and got into elements, and eventually to flourine.

I then noticed a notation: "Oxidizes oxygen."

I was rather intrigued, and amused.

My question is, how can an element oxidize oxygen? It sounds a bit like dividing by zero to me... :oD

• Umar
    Favorite Answer

Do remember that oxidation can be:

1. addition of oxygen

2. increase in oxidation number

3. removal of electron

Using the second case, we can say fluorine oxidises oxygen from oxidation state of zero to +2 in the following reaction:

O2 + 2F2 ----> 2OF2

Can Oxygen Be Oxidized

For the best answers, search on this site https://shorturl.im/awoWt

oxide = oxygen An oxide (pron.: /ˈɒksaɪd/) is a chemical compound that contains at least one oxygen atom and one other element[1] in its chemical formula. Metal oxides typically contain an anion of oxygen in the oxidation state of −2. Most of the Earth's crust consists of solid oxides, the result of elements being oxidized by the oxygen in air or in water. Hydrocarbon combustion affords the two principal carbon oxides: carbon monoxide and carbon dioxide. Even materials considered pure elements often develop an oxide coating. For example, aluminium foil develops a thin skin of Al2O3 (called a passivation layer) that protects the foil from further corrosion.[2] Different oxides of the same element are distinguished by Roman numerals denoting their oxidation number, e.g. iron(II) oxide versus iron(III) oxide.