Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureReligion & Spirituality · 9 years ago

Since the qur'an hates non-believers so much, what happens to atheists in Muslim-majority nations?

Do they get punished?

Favorite Answer

As you can tell, even with the sugar coating here it still sounds scary. And people haven't begun to describe the social bullying. The (justified) protests over Islamophobia are incredibly hypocritical considering where the protest are coming from. The clash of civilizations will continue and something will have to give.

I lived in Iran for a while and if you're an Atheist you HAVE TO register either as a Muslim, Christian, Jew, or Zoroastrian in order to have some legal rights. Also if I remember correctly if you want to attend a university you MUST have a religion out of those four otherwise FORGET ABOUT ENTERING EVER. There are a lot of secret Atheists in Iran today.

In Egypt, Jordan, Saudi Arabia, Libya, and Somalia I've heard of people being harassed in the streets or being attacked by the security forces since for some reason Atheism undermines national unity.

Also it's even worse if you become an apostate (going from Muslim to Atheist), that's like death warrant right there (Iran is known for that).

Your perception of 'Hate is totally wrong!

Who told you this...read yourself. As regards punishments (for sins and bad deeds) all human kind is treated equally without exception; whether you are a believer or a non-believer. Even Muslim sinners will get the suggested punishments.

Quran came for the non-believers and still calling non-believers for the last 1430 years towards the Truth and Righteousness. Non-muslims and Atheist are living in almost all Islamic countries for centuries with certain reginal conditions.

Source(s): www.IslamReligion.com / www.scienceinquran.com

I live in Iran. There are many Atheists in Muslim countries, but they don't shout out their beliefs, you know? I mean, why would they? You could discuss it with your family, friends and co-workers and I honestly don't think anything would happen. I've been questioning God for a few months now, although I decided to have firm belief in God. I've always been critical of some aspects of Islam openly. Nothing bad has ever happened.

Vlad is right. As far as I'm concerned, on the forums you don't have any options but Islam, Christianity and Jedaism. Well, appearantly I always fill out Islam, but most Iranians are not proper Muslims!

Source(s): Muslim

Under Islamic law, Christians, Jews, and any other religion that believes in one God will not be punished but they have to instead pay higher taxes. Atheists, Hindus, and Buddhists are killed.

It depends on if they're caught or not, the circumstances of their atheism (if they are apostates or not), and the specific country. Many do use capital punishment, though

It depends on the country.