My car wont start but it's not due to the battery or lack of gas?

I have a 04 Honda CR-V, the other day it started turning off while I was driving. I recently replaced the battery and it has half a tank of gas. Now it wont start, the lights come on but the engine just wont turn over and it SOUNDS like it's out of gas.

Any ideas?

10 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    9 years ago
    Favorite Answer

there is two things that come up to my mind:

First: do you hear any clicking sound as or none. if so, it could be the starter which allows the engine to start and you will need to replace that.

Second: is the fuse, if your car does not start at all but you see lights on the dashboard you have to check which fuse is destroyed and replace it.

Now if it started turning off that means your alternator is not charging your battery which means you will need to replace that. But first check the top options and then you could conclude if first two are working that your car needs an alternator.

Check by first by charging your car if it charges and your car turns on the car, than your starter is good and you could disregard the fuse. Now if it doesn't than you need to check all your fuses. There is other ways to check your starter by by pass but thats too advanced, but youtube can help you with that. Alternator you can check it up if you want to make sure thats the problem by the voltage it gives in return to the battery maintaining a charge of 13 to 14.4 or 15 max

The other option if not electrical is the fuel pump or fuel filter, as mentioned before.

• Steph
    Lv 5
    9 years ago

well then it s your timing belt.your belt is missing some groves that the gear catches on .if it has a higher pitch sound when you turn the key that could be it, why the gear is not catching to the belt.if you can find a small cap right on top of the timing belt take it off and have someone crank it and don't move then it is the belt.had that problem on those rubber belts .i had that problem just going down the road and it died and i was on the side of the road and some guy looked into it popped a small cap and showed me the belt was not turning.ok there is other way you can see if you take the timing belt cover off and see the problem.good luck .

• 9 years ago

the gas won,t keep it from turning over. you can have a dry tank and it still can turn over. check stuff like the battery, battery terminals and starter. if it will crank over good but won,t fire up then it could be a clogged fuel filter. also a dirty fuel filter can cause it to shut off too.

• 9 years ago

Maybe you could check with the fuel filter if its not clogged and not constricted. About the problem with ignition, try checking the cables and the battery terminals if its well connected and tight.If the engine turns and still wont start, contact points, spark plugs, air intake assy., fuel line, carburetor would need to be checked out. Good luck.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 9 years ago

How can it "sound" like it's out of gas if it won't turn over (same as crank over). If you mean it turns over but won't start (fire) it may be the control module or main relay under the drivers dash by the steering column. They go bad a lot. You may be able to open the relay and re-solder the contact pins. The solder joints develop cracks that act like open circuits which shuts down the motor.

Source(s): Mitsubishi Master Tech
  • 9 years ago

How can it sound like its out of gas if it wont turnover ?

When a car is out of gas, it turns over, it just wont fire.

My guess is a fuel pump or clogged filter. if it is indeed turning over.

• 9 years ago

Bad Fuel pump.

• 9 years ago

to sum up what everyone is saying: make sure your have spark, if you do, then you have a fuel issue.

• 9 years ago

fuel pump or,fuse.

• Anonymous
    9 years ago

i think the fuse. .

replace the fuse n it will be alrite.

CRV hmmm. .

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.