Downloading is not theft ?

I have to do a debate in school on the motion that downloading is not theft. I am going to be proposing this motion. Does anybody have any ideas as to what points I could have? I need about 3 points in detail I have done some myself so its not like I am getting you to do it ALL for me. I need points and reasons why downloading is not theft. In detail please ! Answers will be very much appreciated . Best answer will get 10 points. It's up for grabs !!

That's all ive been told they have given me nothing beyond downloading is not theft. It could be anything from music to movies or whatever really

Favorite Answer

It depends, some files that are downloaded have permission from the owner, while others, are considered illegal and do not have copyrights

Did you pick this topic yourself? If so, you might want to rethink it. Debate topics need to be debatable. It's just fact that downloading IS illegal. You can't debate something like that unless you go into why downloading should be legal.

ETA: Sorry, should have clarified. What I meant was downloading certain content is illegal. When people say "downloading" I automatically go to illegal content because that's almost always what they're referring to. From what the OP wrote, it sounds like that's what the topic is about. I mean, what else could it possibly be about? There's no debatable issue when you're talking about legal downloading.

If what you are downloading Is free and you are allowed to download it safely then it doesn't hurt anyone. Done

EDIT: @ Chelsea, downloading is not illegal, its what some people download that is illegal.

dowloading what there is lots of stuff to download some free some not if you mean movie and songs

i think of it this way if it only cost me 50cents to make a dvd why is the original 20dollars they want to screw with us then lets screw them

Hah ! if downloading was theft then I would be in jail now ! :P . free download is not a theft but if you forcibly download something which is not free , then its called theft .

Funny hhhhh aaa