Anonymous
Anonymous asked in PetsDogs · 9 years ago

The Doberman Pinscher?

I am very interested in getting a Doberman Pinscher, and wanted to know (from people's experience) what the dog is like.

I have researched the breed, and understand the responsibilities of owning such a dog. I am just interested in your experience and/or knowledge, rather than just reading up on the breed standard.

I will not get the dog anytime soon, but somewhere in the future...next couple of years, hopefully.

I currently have a year-old Yorkie mix (10lbs). My interest is in a male Doberman, would that work out?

Thank you in advance!

I want a large breed that will protect me, and the Doberman is a BEAUTIFUL breed.

No mean responses, please! I am only trying to get information.

I work in a grooming salon, and have run in to Dobermans a few times, but for nothing other than a groom. I will see what I can do to at a local rescue or something to gain experience with the breed!

• Chix
    Favorite Answer

Dobermans are not an easy breed to own - in part because they are highly intelligent and secondly, because male Dobermans (moreso than females) are known for dog-on-dog aggression. This is a trait of the breed.

A male puppy brought into a home will bond easily with your Yorkie - but that does not mean he will grow to accept strange dogs on the street. If you adopt a rescue adult, ensure the dog is tolerant of other dogs before you introduce him to your Yorkie. My males were raised with a cat and became very cat friendly - however this did not extend to the neighborhood critters.

All Dobermans require at least 1 hour to 1.5 hours of hard exercise a day when they are in their prime- that would be between 9 months and 3 years. My current female is now 4 years of age - she still gets around 1 hour a day.

Their intelligence requires mental stimulation - not just walks. Training is crucial from day 1 (8 weeks) and a variety of activities - I bike my dogs, ski-jor with them in winter (they are natural pullers), play frisbee (they love this game) and canoe and hike. They would thrive in agility, tracking and activities that stimulate their brains.

If you have an active lifestyle, this dog will fit in. If you spend a great deal of time in the house, on the couch, you will go stark raving mad. They are velcro dogs so long periods of isolation in a kennel outdoors is not good for them. Their short coats are not suited for cold or heat extremes in weather.

Dobermans that are not exercised or mentally stimulated become bored, and develop all kinds of problems such as excessive barking, chewing, whining, and if left outdoors for long periods of time unsupervised, digging.

They need firm boundaries from day one. They do NOT thrive on constant punishment, that means puppies should be crate trained. They are notorious biters as puppies and like owning little crocodiles. A Doberman that is not raised properly as a puppy will be a very difficult dog to own as an adult. I cannot emphasize enough how important it is to set the proper foundation and not to allow bad habits to develop.

I would strongly advise researching NILIF - I've attached a link below. This paradigm of thinking will serve you well with a Doberman.

Males (in particular) that are roughly and unfairly treated (too much force and punishment from their owners - usually people who scruff, pin, hit or otherwise physically try to dominate the dog) will distrust their owners and over time, if this does not stop, when they mature they can and will bite their owners in defence. This doesnt mean they are unstable - it means any guarding breed must be treated with fairness and compassion . It does not mean the dog should not receive discipline, it simply means the discipline must be fair and the dog must understand. I only discipline my dogs with a leash and choker - NEVER my hand.

I use prong collars on all my dogs from about 8 weeks along with positive reinforcement (food) and toys. I still use food occassionally for my 4 year old female, and it really stimulates the bond. However, food rewards will not compel the dog to behave or respect you.

Dobermans are prey driven and will chase cats, deer, coyotes, birds, ducks, and almost anything that moves. By 9 months (the juvenile period) they will pretty much ignore you if given the opportunity off lead. Food means nothing - yell and scream all you want. Its a difficult and challenging time and the dog must be leashed. Don't confuse intelligence with compliance - these dogs have a mind of their own at times. I rarely let my dogs off-lead except in my back yard for this reason. Its risky - both for harm to the dog in getting lost, and the harm the dog may do to others.

The lines vary a great deal. A show line Doberman is easier to handle, they tend to be softer in temperment, but they still require exercise. Working lines from Europe are tenacious and hard dogs - I would NOT advise a newbie to get a male from these lines.

Females are more tractable in general than males and I often recommend first time owners start with a female. However if you are bent on a male, then please get help - that means pro training from 8 weeks and ideally some mentoring that will see you through the first 3 years.

Dobermans are not a breed without considerable health problems - they have issues. You have to research that but I've attached a link to get you started.

By 7 years they tend to slow down - and the average age of death is around 9 years - so they are not the longest living breed.

As far as protection, Dobermans are naturally suspicious of strangers and tend to be aloof - although show lines can be downright wimpy. It varies a lot between lines. A puppy that is outgoing and confident is often the most suitable.

I would consider a Doberman a good deterrent and a good watch dog.

http://ic.upei.ca/cidd/breed/doberman-pinscher

http://k9deb.com/nilif.htm

Source(s): Dobermans for 30 years

Most dogs will settle with others as long as they introduced properly and well trained. I don't know if I would have an un-neutered male unless very experienced though. They can be a little hyperactive and are one of those breeds that can be stubborn. They benefit from mental and physical excercise (a lot) as a bored Dobe is destructive Dobe. Can I suggest that you visit a doberman rescue kennel and volunteer to help out? This would give you an insight into their comical but sometimes erratic behavior!

Hi Kayla. I dont realy know much about the breed as I'm more of a Staffy person myself. I do love the look of Dobermans but must admit I wouldn't want to meet one on a dark night lol.

Have you thought about going to kennels where they have dobermans and offering to do some volunteer work with them just to gain personal knowledge of the breed. There is nothing better than hands on experience.

Hope this helps.

Doberman Pinscher Facts :

**************************

Doberman Pinscher is a working dog breed.

Doberman dog has large size bod.

Doberman Pinscher Colours :

****************************

Red ,

Black ,

Fawn ,

Blue ,

Black and Tan,

Blue Gray,

and

White.

White Doberman dog’s coat colour is very interesting and important.

Doberman Pinscher dog’s height may be 24 to 28 Inches.

It’s barking is higher.

Doberman Pinscher Skills :

*****************************

Doberman is a perfect guard dog.So training is must for Doberman Pinscher dog.

It is also a loyal ,

fearless ,

alert ,

obedient ,

energetic,

Intelligent,

reliable ,

loving ,

playful,

easy to train,

and a perfect protective dog.

Doberman Pinscher dogs can be learn very fast.

Pinscher dogs can also behave as a best body guard dog .

So it is a best protective and guard dog.

Note : Without social and obedience training,

Doberman dog can be create behaviour problems.

Doberman Pinscher Grooming :

****************************

Grooming of Doberman dog should be weekly ,

Toenails and coat of Doberman dog

should must be maintained weekly.

Due to short hairs his coat is easy to groom .

Doberman Pinscher Puppy Care :

******************************

Doberman puppies are very very sensitive to cold climates.

Doberman Pinscher Dogs Health & Fitness :

*****************************************

Daily 45 minute walk is must for Doberman dogs fitness.

Doberman Dogs Training :

***********************

Training is a must for Doberman dog .

Doberman dog is a easy to train.

Doberman puppy can be socialized by training .

Doberman Pinscher Dog’s personality :

*************************************

It is a good family dog .

It is also a perfect guard dog.

This video tell’s us about the behaviour and personality of Doberman Pinscher dog.

….…

Doberman is designed as a special guard dog .

It is a very fearless .

Doberman is also a over protective .

It is a very reliable dog.

Doberman Pinscher dog is very protective for his owner .

It is a very intelligent dog.

Doberman is easy to train.

Pinscher is a very loyal dog.

Dobie is also a loving dog .

It is also a very alert dog .

www.greatestdogs.com

I absolutely *desire* this is not severe. Anyone with the mind of a faulty cabbage will have to understand that if dogs are not thriving, the vet will have to be concerned inside 24 hours. These are NEWBORNS. The vet will have to were concerned from the opening regardless, even for a typical being pregnant and start. And if you happen to are not able to find the money for to contain a vet, you are not able to find the money for to have a puppy, on no account brain a muddle. Peeing blood? This makes me quite marvel, due to the fact dogs this younger want inspired to get rid of pee and poop.