Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureReligion & Spirituality · 9 years ago

Christians : What book should i read first in the bible.?

I heard you arent supposed to read from the beginning , so exactly where do you start

Update:

So i only need to read like 4 books and im done? then why are there alot of books

18 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    9 years ago
    Favorite Answer

Try Matthew.It's the New Testament,all the stuff you need to know for life is in there.Plus the first 4 books of the new testament are The Gospels,a necessary read in everyone's lives.All those who hear and receive the gospels are saved throught Jesus Christ,so i'd start there.

EDIT:well not necessarily,i'm just suggesting you start there because alot of problems we face in life today such as money problems and marital problems,Jesus had an answer for in .That's why i suggest you start there.But y'know.It's up to you where you want to start.You could also try Proverbs and psalms,it's got alot of wisdom for everyday life too.

• 9 years ago

Generally, most people recommend starting with the Book of John since it gives the life and ministry of Jesus in a clear way and answers a lot of the questions of a new believer. The other three Gospels (Matthew, Mark and Luke) also tell the story of Jesus from different view points. Following that, the book of Acts describes the beginning of how the followers of Jesus began to spread the word of Jesus' teachings and his sacrifice and resurrection. The book of Romans helps us understand the condition of humanity, our need for a savior, and how to live in faith. Psalms contains many great passages of praise and consolation. One suggestion is to get involved with a Bible study group or Sunday School class for your age group that can help you study and understand what you are reading. There are also many great devotional books that you can use for private study (Chuck Swindoll, Max Ludado, Our Daily Bread, etc)

Source(s): Personal experience as a pastor
  • 9 years ago

You are not 'supposed' to do anything. What is it you are searching for? Its all in what you take from it, what does it mean to you. The bible contains teachings of a people and can be interpreted in many ways depending on your View point. The books in the new testament were chosen to be included but there are many other commentaries of Christs teaching written about the same time. Including the Gospel of thomas.

If any religious writing allows you to explore your own spirituality then you will find your own truth as you understand it.

• Anonymous
    9 years ago

If you do start from the beginning you will lose interest and be discouraged when you hit the books of Leviticus, Numbers, Deuteronomy because of the ceremonial laws the hebrews had to keep. I would suggest John , 1 John, for salvation. Proverbs- for wisdom. The bible has 66 books to show how man is to live and how man has failed God time after time but, God is merciful and willing to accept those who admit they have done wrong against God and come to Him for mercy and have eternal life through Jesus Christ , Lord and Savior.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 9 years ago

I would consider the books of Galatians, Romans, and Ephesians (in that order)...then the book of John.

Galatians and Romans really helps understand what the faith is about and who we are as believers. It also addresses some of the serious 'wrong turns' we can take as Christians.

Of course, as others have said, it is a personal choice. Like most things in Christianity...make sure to ask God, I'm sure he would be glad to help you even in little things like selecting scriptures to read. Talk to him continuously even regarding the little things in life, and I would advocate that he will become much more closer and intimate in your life. The more we let him in and the more we let him get involved, the more he will get involved in our lives.

God be with you. Take care my friend. See you on the other side.

• Anon
    Lv 4
    9 years ago

Start with Matthew. And no you don't just need to read 4 books and be done.. Even reading the whole bible doesn't mean your done. What would you have achieved? Faith without deeds is dead. No point in just believing but not practicing..

• 9 years ago

The first four books of the Bible. If you start there you'll be looking at it from the front first and not seeing things backward scriptural wise like most Christians seem to do.

• Anonymous
    9 years ago

Read Genesis at first, specially why Adam and Eve were expelled and what God plans on doing. This helps to define the rest of God's plan and if God's purpose isn't understood then the rest of the Bible will not make much sense.

• Anonymous
    9 years ago

Here is a book to help you understand the bible. It's a free download and you can buy a hard copy at any bible book store.

http://philologos.org/__eb-htetb/ "How To Enjoy The Bible"

• 9 years ago

Try the Book of John. If you read nothing else, at least you can get saved by reading that. It is one of the first books missionaries translate and if they could only carry one book that is usually it.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.