Why do some vegetarians consider fish acceptable to eat?

Where is the logic in this, arn't fish living things too?

This s by no means a rhetorical question I need to know about this because Im considering going veggie but damn would I miss salmon and anchovies lol, cheers.

10 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    9 years ago
    Favorite Answer

I think the reasoning behind pescetarianism is that these people tend to presume that fish and crustaceans don't suffer the same way land animals do, that they aren't mistreated in the same way cows and pigs are in factory farms. Unfortunately, this is incorrect.

Sometimes they are treated worse. They are dragged out of water and left to suffocate for upto 30 minutes, and then if they are the wrong kind of fish are just thrown back in the sea. What a waste of life.

I know a girl who is a pesky-terrian who claims that she doesn't like the idea of animals suffering, but will eat lobster. She seems to believe that an animal that is scolded alive to cook it has no feelings. Sigh. It would have been in complete agony.

And we consider ourselves to be humane?

• 9 years ago

One who eats fish is not a vegetarian. If you are not ready to give up fish, start with Meatless Mondays and build on it. Good job for being mindful of where your food comes from.

Source(s): Peace and happiness
  • 9 years ago

I consider fish "acceptable to eat", but NOT by vegetarians. In other words, I'm ok with omnivores (which includes pescetarians, of course) eating fish - if they want to. But vegetarians do not eat fish, so I'm not ok with pescetarians calling themselves "vegetarians", as it f**ks things up for real vegetarians.

• Anonymous
    9 years ago

Vegetarians that eat fish aren't vegetarians no logic there

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 9 years ago

Because they're not vegetarians.

Fish are living creatures, they're mobile therefore sensitive to pain. A 'vegetarian that eats fish' is not a vegetarian. They are a pescatarian.

Source(s): I'm vegan. Years of research.
  • 9 years ago

Vegetarians don't eat fish!

• 9 years ago

One person's lifestyle is their's as they see it. Logic has nothing to do with it. I had 5 vegetarian friends. The only one I have now eats fish as she has always done. The other 4 just reverted to meat!

• 9 years ago

People that eat fish should not call themselves vegetarian.

• Karina
    Lv 6
    9 years ago

Because they are not vegetarians.

Source(s): vegan :D
  • Anonymous
    9 years ago

I have heard the same thing. Most Vegans are Liars. Very few if any are real in their Lettuce and Cumtwat fetish.

Source(s): ME - Fish Eater
Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.