i recently brought a car from a private seller but i did not get the title.?

The seller told me he ordered the titles that it will come in a couple of weeks.I want to know is there a way to register the car in my name without waiting for the titles.I'm trying to speed up the process so i can drive the car (i brought the car from a friend)

Favorite Answer

NO ! You may not legally drive the car until it is in your name, registered and insured.

Are you sure that your "friend" can and will provide a title? Why didn't he have a title for it when you bought it? Why would you buy a car without first getting a title for it?

no. Until you have a clean title in your name, you do not own the car and therefore you can't register it. Ownership of vehicles is conveyed by the title, not by possession or even a bill of sale. If the title does not come through in another week or two, ask for your money back and return the car.

The only exception might be in some areas, an antique vehicle, older than 20 years, or certain type of trailers which are not titled.

nope if he keeps it reg and insured you can still use car if your pulled over DO NOT mention buying car it would cancel out reg and insurance and you will go to Jail