Officer in Air Force?

I currently have a Bachelor's degree (BS) but unfortunately, it's not a very useful one. I was planning on becoming a physical therapist so I got a degree in Kinesiology concentration in Pre-PT (classes included: anatomy, physiology, chemistry, math classes) but I do not want to pursue that path anymore. I know there's so much more when applying for OTS, not just having a degree and all that, but my question is: Let's say, by any chance, I get accepted to OTS, can I have a different line of work that has nothing to do with my major? For the sake of my question, can I pick... let's say "Dermatologist" or "Optometrist" as my career?

Or if I'm going to do Officer, I'm locked in something that has to do with kinesiology?

Thank you in advance

I'm sorry I'm not familiar with this, that's why I'm asking. I was told to do direct commission, you're right. I put OTS because I thought that was the same, applies for training school.

And yes I've thought about that, I was thinking AF would provide some kind of additional training for specific careers, additional to the 4 years of school that graduates have already gotten.

@jeeper --- I was looking for your number 3 answer, I'd like to hear more about those officer jobs where AF will train so I don't have to stick to my kine degree

Favorite Answer

How can you be a dermatologist or optometrist when you haven't got a degree in it? Think about that for a minute. OTS, your job will be picked by the AFs needs. Direct commissions do their degree.

Funny how so many non AF/ AF security forces answer the question, and they get small/important things wrong. 1. Security Forces gets deployed, our shortest deployments at 6-months (with a month or 2 for training) and longest are 12-months (with a month or 2 for training) with the ability to extend your deployment time. 2. For security clearance you will need a good criminal record (mostly clean) as well as decent financial records (if you were old enough) but at 18, there isn't much they check. 3. For Security Forces, AFSC 3POX1, you put it on your list, put it as the first choice, and don't put anything else down, and you will get it. they are always looking for more people, and even if you had other jobs down, your 80% guarenteed to get SF. Ask your recruiter they will tell you. and you can be guarenteed your job in the Air Force, the only time you chose after basic, is if you went in "open general, open admin, open medical, or any other open fields" the open means that you are chosing a career within a certain field. But you can also be guaranteed SF right from MEPS. 4. BMT is BMT, it's harder then most anything you've prob done, but at same time when you look back on it, it was easy. You will prob cry, you will laugh, you will hate it, you prob won't ever love it. and luckily you only do it once. Tech School, for SF is 13 weeks long (somtimes it's 14-16 sometimes a little shorter, as they change the circiullum every once in a while) you will learn infantry stuff, squad tactics, you will shoot a lot of weapons from the AF inventory (M240B,M249,M203,M9,M4) you will learn Law enforcement (domestics, traffic stops, etc) and you will learn security, (guarding a weapon storage area/flightline) 5. your contract is 8 years. But you can join for 4 years active and 4 years inactive, or 6 years active and 2 years inactive. (during the inactive, your basically out of the military but could be called back in if you were needed. the AF has NEVER called up it's IRR as of today *knock on wood*)

1. Your degree doesn't really play a role in what AFSC your assigned

2. But for professional positions

IE: medical, legal, engineers - then of course you must have the right degree

"Dermatologist" or "Optometrist" must have Phd's in their field, the military doesn't train them.

3. You could be a maintenabce officer, supply officer, jobs like that. Jobs where the AF trains you.

4. If you want to be in a medical field, then apply for a HPSP medical scholarship