How can I stop talking about myself?

I feel like I find a way to find every conversation about me, but I'm not a self-centered person, at all. I'm beginning to notice that every thing I say to someone is about myself-- how I feel or what my experience with something is or was. I hate this about myself because I know no one wants to talk to someone who just talks about them self and doesn't offer anything to the conversation, or someone who always turns the conversation to be about them. How do I stop doing this? Usually when I notice this, I get really self-conscious about it and end up doing it even more. Eventually, I just stop talking. The whole thing goes through stages, but right now, I'm really aware and ashamed of it. How can I stop?

Favorite Answer

ask more questions! Include others more!

Listen. It takes a lot of work, actually, listening. When the other person is talking, don't rehearse what you're going to say. Actively listen. Make uh-huh sounds. Repeat little words. Say, "Wow, thirty?" and otherwise indicate involvement. Ask open, not closed questions. An open question is something like, "how was that for you?" A closed question is specific and gets one bit of info, like, "how old are you?"

People love to be listened to, and it will make you come out of your narcissism.

Good luck.

practice "selflessness" and it really does work. the benefits and rewards of selflessness are much greater than "self-fullness.

and very often, it actually DOESN'T relate to "ego" and you seem to be clear with yourself about that. YOU know that your self-orientation isn't an ego thing, but you fear being perceived by others that it is.

breathing can help you to "stop" talking. if you feel the impulse to say something and if your mind catches yourself quick enough, a breath will help you to pause.

Listen to what the other person is talking about and ask them about themselves instead of talking about yourself