how long can you leave the air compressor relief valve open?

I used my air compressor several months ago.When I went to use it I noticed I had not closed the relief valve. That's where the dirt and water pressure substance come out of,right? The compressor was not plugged in during that time. I did get the valve closed and I plugged the compressor back in heard the noise,I did not actually use it yet, I wanted to know if

there was anything I should do before using it, some kind of cleaning process,blowing out before I proceed with my work. Thank you in Advance

• CIC
    Favorite Answer

No. I do it allthe time.

leaving it open isn't bad but if your working on something with compressed air that you don't want or can't get moisture in you should give it a test using a dry paper towel or rag. Shoot the dry towel or rag to see if moisture dampens the towel, drips of water and/or oil. If so get yourself a Decadent system to dry the air coming out of the compressor it has nothing to do with the air relief valve.

So long as it seals ok should be OK