What to do about my brother?

I am gay. Ever since I found out, and told my family, my older brother keeps saying what a practical joker I am.

If someone calls me a name, he'll say I'm not that, just a practical joker.

Every time I try to talk to him about it, he just laughs and says how funny I am.

How can I get him to understand, and take me serious?

Favorite Answer

He's just trying to cope with it in his own way. A lot of people do stuff like that. Keep letting him know (in private when possible) that you know you're gay and maybe talk to him about some of the process you went through when you were accepting it for yourself. Maybe it's that he just doesn't want to believe it, that he doesn't want other people making a big deal (protecting you?) or something else. Just be serious, and let things come with time. Your relationship with your brother will constantly be changing throughout your life and educating the non-LGBT community about LGBT issues is something that we have to do in this day and age. If the only person you choose to teach is your brother, great! That's a step in the right direction! Just keep making sure that you stay serious around him and don't push him too hard - he can only move at his own pace.

Source(s): I have a brother who thinks he's funny and that's his way.

It sounds like your brother is in denial. This doesnt mean he is bad, it means that he, for his own reason(s), is not yet ready to accept that about you. It is very likely that he is afraid because he really likes you and might fear that you being gay could mean he will lose you as his brother. He might be afraid that you might start doing strange things and maybe get into trouble and that maybe you and he will not be as close anymore.

If any of this is true (this is only an educated guess because I dont personally know him), it might be best not to push the issue. He is likely uncomfortable with the whole idea and giving him his space could be very helpful. Continue to be his brother, do caring things for him, if you two play around often or joke often you can continue that, and just do things that will make him feel comfortable with you. It also might be a good idea not to mention the topic of you being gay unless, of course, he starts asking you. If he does, just be honest with him. You are, and you are also his brother. You can also mention to him that you can understand how your being gay might make him feel uncomfortable and that is probably why he thinks you are joking, but you really are gay but it does not mean you will stop being his brother. If you continue to be respectful and considerate, he will likely be the same to you and take you seriously. Hope this helps. :)

• DaveK

I'm the clown in my family. I enjoy making my brothers and sisters laugh. But when jokes are aside,they are well aware of it. Just try a bit harder to present yourself that you're serious about the point you're trying to make. Direct eye contact and your demeanor will make anyone take you seriously.

-Ignore Him, & let Him "figure it out" on His Own. That's the ONLY Way some people can Deal with the Reality of a Situation. :)

Source(s): -Let's just Say- the "joke's on Him." ;)

Tell him his jokes are getting tiresome and denial isn't going to change reality.

Or .. just ignore him. If you stop talking to him long enough, he might ask you why, and you can tell him.

umm make out w/ a dude in front of him?

get a boyfriend?

ummm ya

kiss a guy in front of him

answer mine?

http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index;_ylt=AvGZI...