Anonymous
Anonymous asked in HealthWomen's Health · 9 years ago

What to do about Sciatic nerve pain?

I started having major pain in my right hip toward the back, the doc said it's my sciatic nerve what to do to make it stop hurting. The med he gave me doesn't do anything for it. And I'm only 25

Favorite Answer

Sciatic nerve pain results from spinal stenosis, a herniated disk, spinal tumors, spondylolisthesis, piriformis syndrome or injury. The sciatic nerve runs from your spinal cord, down through the hip area and then through the legs. Conditions affecting the spinal cord, vertebrae, discs or foramen may negatively impact the sciatic nerve and cause pain, weakness, numbness and tingling.

History

Nerves inside of the spinal canal allow brain communications to the rest of the body. Structural problems with the bony spine may impact the transmission of nerve impulses from the brain to organs and extremities.

Significance

As with lumbar spinal stenosis, a narrowing of the spinal canal that houses the nerves places pressure on the nerve root or the nerves emerging from the spinal canal. Thus, the proper transmissions of the sciatic nerve may not occur, resulting in pain and loss of full function.

Effects

Lifestyle, age and medical conditions impact the probability of your suffering from sciatic nerve pain. Professions requiring prolonged sitting, degenerative disc changes related to age and medical conditions like diabetes may affect the sciatic nerve's functioning and integrity.

Identification

A medical professional examines the patient and orders tests to identify the problem. Common tests include x-ray, magnetic resonance imaging (MRI) and computed tomography (CT) scan. The MRI and CT scans make soft tissue visible, which greatly aids the diagnostic process.

Prevention/Solution

Depending on the severity of the sciatic nerve pain, doctors may recommend physical therapy, pain medication, epidural steroid injections or spinal surgery. Many people achieve relief using specific exercises, over-the-counter pain medications and hot or cold packs.

1

Source(s): Best Home Sciatica Cure - http://sciaticacure.ohfos.com/?hPC

I have experienced several severe bouts of pinched sciatica: One instance, as luck....I should say unluck, I was forced to ride my bike 1 1/2 miles to work cuz my car broke down. I did that for a week and my back pain subsided. Another time, I went to a physical therapist and did some stretching exercises. I would lay on my back, bend leg, and pull the other knee toward my chest. Switch. Each time I visited I was able to pull the legs closer to the chest and the pain went away. **I think some Pilates exercises might help** I've tried muscle relaxers but they just made me 'high' and unable to work. I do take Ibus though if I'm in discomfort and that works. I also put the heating pad on my lower back for 20 minutes at a time over 2 hours, as needed. I haven't had severe pain in about a year. That was due to mopping at my job when I hadn't been conditioned for it. I was hurting the next day. I saw the therapist due to a work related injury. Hope my info helped and wasn't something you already knew.

You might consider seeing a chiropractor instead. A friend of mine had gone on the traditional anti-inflammatory regimen and it didn't help. Two visits to the chiropractor resolved the problem.