Should i get a new wireless adapter?

My computer is about 5 years old and the internet is really slow. it is wireless internet and a desktop. i get 1 to 2 Mbps download speed ( speedtest.net using chrome) using a G wireless pci adapter. my laptop gets about 20 Mbps and my ipod tough 4g gets 5 Mbps in the same place as my computer and 10 Mbps close to the router. should i get a new N wireless adapter or is it something else like my computer being slow and old? also i have a wireless N router from smc.

3 Answers

Relevance
  • 9 years ago
    Favorite Answer

I like the netgear adapters. If you have a slower computer a USB wifi stick might not give you more speed. You'd get a faster speed then the computer moves slower negotiating the USB. Get one anyway for 20 bucks on eBay. Beter yet, run cat5 to it.

• 9 years ago

Most likely your wireless is fine. The PC, being 5 years old is probably the culprit. I'm sure if you did a clean install, you would see a dramatic increase in speed. Probably time to look for a new desktop.

• 9 years ago

You should clean your system of unnecessary start-up software/services. Also, where is the antenna for your desktop? Most of those old G cards just had the antenna sticking out the back (usually obstructed by PC case) and line of site is required for a decent connection.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.