Should i get a new wireless adapter?

My computer is about 5 years old and the internet is really slow. it is wireless internet and a desktop. i get 1 to 2 Mbps download speed ( speedtest.net using chrome) using a G wireless pci adapter. my laptop gets about 20 Mbps and my ipod tough 4g gets 5 Mbps in the same place as my computer and 10 Mbps close to the router. should i get a new N wireless adapter or is it something else like my computer being slow and old? also i have a wireless N router from smc.

Favorite Answer

I like the netgear adapters. If you have a slower computer a USB wifi stick might not give you more speed. You'd get a faster speed then the computer moves slower negotiating the USB. Get one anyway for 20 bucks on eBay. Beter yet, run cat5 to it.

Most likely your wireless is fine. The PC, being 5 years old is probably the culprit. I'm sure if you did a clean install, you would see a dramatic increase in speed. Probably time to look for a new desktop.

You should clean your system of unnecessary start-up software/services. Also, where is the antenna for your desktop? Most of those old G cards just had the antenna sticking out the back (usually obstructed by PC case) and line of site is required for a decent connection.